The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justrelirandom
4x6=24
7-8 hours of school a day 7x5 =35 + sat school
i dont see why it isn't feasible

The extent to which mathematics is learned at A-level is much beyond the things one will have covered at GCSE. You have to develop a whole new equilibrium on the thought process itself. Do not underestimate your choices.
Reply 61
Original post by mediaroom
Make media studies one of those subjects, it will be just like doing 6!

Why not take sociology and critical thinking and it will be like doing 4 !
Reply 62
Do it if you can.
but take the IB instead
Medicine

If you decide that you're really keen on medicine over the others, then do yourself a favour; drop everything apart from Bio, Chem and 2 others (from your posts, you sound pretty into maths, so keep that if you want.) Any extra A levels provide you with no advantage in applying (to be fair, you sound like you know this, and only want to do these because they interest you) and the time you save by not doing 7 subjects can be channelled into the volunteering work needed for any med application.

I think that it's a failing of our system that we basically have to choose arts or science at age 16.
Reply 64
do 4 and put the effort of doing 7, hopefully you should attain A*s (About 3) and you will be in a very strong position to get onto a good course, at an established uni

peace out
Reply 65
What's the point in just taking a Mandarin exam for the sake of it, if you're already fluent so would probably learn little new from the process?

Also, triple science and double maths is certainly manageable, and i suppose an extra maths would be fine.

But if you wanted to take a humanities subject I would say stick to 4 (max 5 at a stretch) A levels and drop something.

This is coming from an IB student doing 7 subjects (and ToK, CAS, EE) - so I know what academic suicide is. And trust me, sleep and a social life are wonderful things.
Reply 66
I personally wouldn't want to take 7 A-Levels because my grades would suffer to much and it is pretty pointless to be honest.
Reply 67
Unless you're a genius, you will actually die doing 7.
Reply 68
Dude, you must be crazy to do 7 A Levels to A2. 3 is the usual amount, 4 is not too uncommon these days, and 5, well that'd be pushing it.
Just do like 3/4 A Levels to A2 and concentrate on trying to get top grades in them, instead of getting average grades in 7 A Levels. If you want to go uni, then it helps massively to know the general subject requirements (if any) for the course you want to do.
Reply 69
If the only way you learn is by forcing yourself to revise for pointless modules then go for it. If you actually want to learn stuff do Further Maths (no need for triple) and a couple of other subjects with lots of additional reading.`You're more likely to get into Oxbridge with the latter.
Reply 70
Clearly the OP has no interest in taking the feedback provided on board, so let her do what she wants.

I'm sure she'll regret being so stupid when she fails/ends up with no uni offers.
Reply 71
Currently i'm think of studying :
Triple maths (or double maths at minimum)
Triple science
Mandarin(Not really studying , just taking exams)

So a couple of questions :
1.Is triple maths worth it? Does it give you that much of an advantage?
2.How is the work load going to be?
3.If i'm also considering to take Philosophy,History,Economics is there any way to fit those in?

The work load would be extremely high. Of course it's not impossible to get good grades on them all, but highly unlikely.

I didn't even know triple maths existed lol, but I would say Double maths (presuming this is like Maths & Further maths) would be plenty, even to study maths at uni. By Triple science I'm guessing you mean bio, chem, phys. To do Maths, FMaths, Bio, Chem and Phys will be a hard work load but can do well if you work hard and are good at them! However make sure you're enthusiastic about it, cause that's a lot of sciences. If you want some greater variation in there I'd substitute one of the three sciences or Fmaths for one of your other options.

I've not mentioned the Mandarin cause I assume from what you say that you already speak it, but make sure the course requirements aren't going to interfere with revising/working at your other subjects, eg. you might have to read a text in mandarin and comment about it, or do some research about the countries where it is spoken.

xx
Reply 72
How are they going to find out about my social life? Ask what clubs i go to?I don't see why 1 more subject is going to kill me seeing that lots of people take double maths triple science and mandarin requires no effort

Do you know how brackets work? That was hardly my main argument, just a point to raise. If you don't take time to indulge in other activities (sports, charity, work experience, etc) universities will label you as another 'boring' academic and this may (and probably will) hinder your application.

'1 more subject'? You're proposing 7, more than double what the average student takes.
Reply 73
OP clearly doesnt know what a social life is.

By all means, take 7 a levels.
And maybe get amazing grades, if your very very.. very lucky.

But then, when it comes ti job interviews, watch all these people with 3 or 4 a levels smash you because they have the social skills needed to interact and impress the interviewer.
You will stay at home for most/all of the week, this will hinder your social skills no matter what anyone says. You will have less topics to talk about, less stuff in common and will just generally lack the confidence to sit correctly and smile and have a chat with the interviewer.

Plus.. Quality > Quantity.

Plus.. I'd rather be having a drink + playing football + seeing a girlfriend + generally having a life than working an extra 3 or 4 hours a day.
nah not worthy... should have some time outside class.
Reply 75
What I think ur doing is taking a piss tbh. 7 A levels is not a suicide mission, but for what reason on this earth would you do 7 ? I guarantee that you achieve a higher average than a B or maximum a low A. Second, the universities will not want to take you due to ur lack of social skills.
Reply 76
God, it never ceases to amaze me how insecure some people on this forum are. It's like they are hell-bent on putting the OP down.

Anyway, 7 A Levels is managable as long as you are reasonably intelligent. You do not have to be a genius as some posts in this thread suggest. Triple maths won't have much of a workload if you are good at maths. Triple maths will also mean that physics is pretty straightforward. I can't speak for chemistry and biology but I don't imagine they are very difficult.

It is very possible to get 7 As/A*s. To be fair though, most people would struggle so you should bear that in mind.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 77
depends what you want to do...go to university or make a sad point
the discussion should never reach the point where ur saying 'i can handle it' or 'i can go out as well' - discussions about workload etc
because fundamentally theres no point in doing so many alevels. what gives it away is the fact you say 'ill just take mandarin i wont study' - meaning you already know it; you're just taking alevels not for learning but simply to 'collect' them - and theres no point to it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
There is no point in doing 7 A levels, 3-4 are enough.
It's better to get good grades in 3 subjects than mediocre grades in 7.
Original post by lexafish
My Chinese friend was advised not to take Manderin A level, because, as she was fluent, some unis wouldn't count it so it wasn't worth the effort.

Or at least, that's what she told us.

This is true.

Latest