Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The graduates top law firms want, the university where they are most likely to recruit from and so on!

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge
    UCL & LSE
    Warwick.

(Or Durham for the last one).

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge
    UCL & LSE
    One chosen from Durham, Bristol, Warwick, KCL and the other good universities within that bracket.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    UCL
    KCL
    LSE

... if employers are going by league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Give me thumbs up if you honestly think that I am correct and a thumbs down if you honestly think that I am incorrect but I do question whether a university that was only founded in the 1960s, even if it's overall highly rated Warwick, will hold anywhere near as much prestige in Law as Edinburgh (as well as all the other names on that list). All of these for a start are sometimes more highly rated for Law than Warwick: Glasgow, Nottingham, Aberdeen

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen Mary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her)
    Well I'm surprised no one has mentioned Queen Mary.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law
    It has a fantastic Law dept, but overall the University has nowhere near the prestige of those already stated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    It has a fantastic Law dept, but overall the University has nowhere near the prestige of those already stated.
    Oh no! Do employers like QMUL LAW graduates ? - Top law firms and so on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    You wouldn't have much trouble getting an interview for a TC. A top 15 will get you in the door. If you want to go for barrister, stick closely to the top 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    Oxbridge
    UCL & LSE
    Warwick.

(Or Durham for the last one).
    Durham for sure :cool:

I'd change the thread title to top 6 bc Durham and Warwick for law are interchangeable for spots 5&6 like Oxford and Cambridge interchangeable for 1&2.

Oxbridge
    UCL/LSE
    Durham/Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, UCL, LSE...

then two from durham, nottingham, King's.

If you're really desperate, oxford.

ReputationRep:
    IMO

Oxford / Cambridge
    LSE
    Durham
    UCL

in that order. This will vary from employer to employer though - at the same firm, one person making recruitment decisions might prefer QMUL to KCL and another might think its the other way around - people making the decisions often don't research universities very much.

(edit: rofl how come all the neg rep? I'm getting some people are really offended by me putting LSE above UCL... <(^_^)>)

ReputationRep:

(Original post by adam0311)
    You wouldn't have much trouble getting an interview for a TC. A top 15 will get you in the door. If you want to go for barrister, stick closely to the top 5.
    TC? what? pleas explain your comment love thank you!

ReputationRep:
    TC? what? pleas explain your comment love thank you!
    A training contract...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is a bit ehhh for Law, assuming the OP is English. I thought you have to take your LLB in the country you want to practice in?

ReputationRep:
    (Each group in no particular order):

Oxford
    Cambridge

KCL
    LSE
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Durham
    Bristol

Manchester
    Birmingham
    Warwick
    Anyone one of them will be easily good enough. You can argue that Warwick should be in the higher group but in general terms these unis are the ones that law firms will be looking at. Just make sure you stand out with other areas of your application and firms are not likely to place too much importance of whether you went to Red Brick X or Red Brick Y.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin is a Queen Mary law graduate and he has been so for 3 years whereby he took his LPC the year after graduation. He has been looking for a training contract for two years now and is currently working as a cashier in Marks and Spencer's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Give me thumbs up if you honestly think that I am correct and a thumbs down if you honestly think that I am incorrect but I do question whether a university that was only founded in the 1960s, even if it's overall highly rated Warwick, will hold anywhere near as much prestige in Law as Edinburgh (as well as all the other names on that list). All of these for a start are sometimes more highly rated for Law than Warwick: Glasgow, Nottingham, Aberdeen
    Glasgow and Aberdeen teach Scottish law, and I'm far from sure they'd be put ahead of Warwick.

Nottingham does have a strong law school, but I don't know that firms and sets see a huge difference between Nottingham and Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willtang3000)
    My cousin is a Queen Mary law graduate and he has been so for 3 years whereby he took his LPC the year after graduation. He has been looking for a training contract for two years now and is currently working as a cashier in Marks and Spencer's...

I learnt from the TSR that a 2.1 LLB from QM should be okay for securing a TC. Is your cousin an asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jivejak)
    I learnt from the TSR that a 2.1 LLB from QM should be okay for securing a TC. Is your cousin an asian?
    I have confidence in him that he got at least a 2:1 because he's a very clever individual. Yes he is Asian, but I fail to see how this factor will challenge his ability to gain a training contract! :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.