Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WOW Clegg is whipped!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11935176 (soz, browser wont lemme link

but he really is camerons whipping boy

ReputationRep:
    What a whore.

ReputationRep:
    Wow he's submitting to David Cameron? ****ing David Cameron?! Cameron is not a natural leader, he's a mug. How anybody can submit to him I don't know... He's just not an alpha male in any sense...
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, even his name is starting to annoy me, let alone everything he's actually done :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    cant wait until next election, this man wont be any where near the house of commons

he has choice, be in politics for the long run or fail?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he is. His party has a whip, and the coalition also have a Chief Whip, Patrick McLoughlin. What a very dull statement of fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    Yes, he is. His party has a whip, and the coalition also have a Chief Whip, Patrick McLoughlin. What a very dull statement of fact.
    wow, that was hilarious! omfg my sides, im am literally rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, oh no, your hilariousness made me crap myself

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody explain to me the logic behind abstaining from voting, whilst we're here?

If you aren't voting in favour, presumably you are against the measure.
    So why not vote against?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Can anybody explain to me the logic behind abstaining from voting, whilst we're here?

If you aren't voting in favour, presumably you are against the measure.
    So why not vote against?!
    Voting for breaks the election pledge. Voting against breaks the coalition agreement. Abstaining makes the entire problem go away

Ministers means the 19 (I think) in gov't departments right? Clegg, Cable, Alexander, Hunhe and Moore were always going to vote as the frontbench team, the other 14 were always likely, any rebellion was always going to come from the backbenches. It'll pass easily, what's interesting is how divided the Lib Dems are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis1991)
    Voting for breaks the election pledge. Voting against breaks the coalition agreement. Abstaining makes the entire problem go away

Ministers means the 19 (I think) in gov't departments right? Clegg, Cable, Alexander, Hunhe and Moore were always going to vote as the frontbench team, the other 14 were always likely, any rebellion was always going to come from the backbenches. It'll pass easily, what's interesting is how divided the Lib Dems are.
    As I suspected.
    Should be some sort of rule against MPs voting/ not voting purely to save their own backsides.
    They're meant to be there to represent their constituents and/ or do what's best for the country, not look out for their own interests.
    Tsh.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

So it will most probably get pushed through.

REVOLT

:mob:

lol jk, it doesn't affect me.

I don't know why, but I feel really smug at the minute. Bad I know.

ReputationRep:
    As I say Nick Clegg is a Downing street mug.

(Original post by Bektas)
      Wow.

So it will most probably get pushed through.

REVOLT

:mob:

lol jk, it doesn't affect me.

I don't know why, but I feel really smug at the minute. Bad I know
      This tbh.

People are going on at me about joining protests, making a stand etc.... my fees have been covered since day one and I'm leaving university for good after my MSc.

Why should I care?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Captain92)
      As I suspected.
      Should be some sort of rule against MPs voting/ not voting purely to save their own backsides.
      They're meant to be there to represent their constituents and/ or do what's best for the country, not look out for their own interests.
      Tsh.
      What happens when they feel that representing their constituents is not what's best for the country?

Furthermore, what if their good judgment (let's say on an ethical matter) is against the wishes of their constituents (for example, bringing back the death penalty)?

These things are always more intractable than they seem.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by f00ddude)
      wow, that was hilarious! omfg my sides, im am literally rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, oh no, your hilariousness made me crap myself
      Where was the joke?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amiparanoid)
      What happens when they feel that representing their constituents is not what's best for the country?

Furthermore, what if their good judgment (let's say on an ethical matter) is against the wishes of their constituents (for example, bringing back the death penalty)?

These things are always more intractable than they seem.
      That's why I said "to save their own backsides" and used "/" to indicate circumstantial differences.
      I understand the system lol.

ReputationRep:
      :eek:
      (Original post by Louis1991)

Actually, voting for or abstaining breaks the election pledge, which was a promise to vote against any measures to increase fees.

ReputationRep:
      Welcome to the coalition government of 2010, may I take your coat?

ReputationRep:
      I really hope 'Clegg' gets taken into the English language to mean 'completely change your stance on an issue'.

Like: "Oh man, he really pulled a clegg on that one"
      or
      "I've never known anyone clegg as much as Daily Mail readers!"

etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
      :eek:

Actually, voting for or abstaining breaks the election pledge, which was a promise to vote against any measures to increase fees.
      Then it breaks it slightly less, I suppose. It will make them come off a bit better and gives them a pathetic little defence, they can always say "I didn't vote for any increase". Can't see many buying it though, unless there's enough of a rebellion to stop it going through, which just won't happen, they're gonna be unpopular for a couple of years at the least.

On a side note, essentially an irrelevant hypothetical, what would happen if it didn't go through considering the budget has already been cut?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.