Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Bus Driver's keep the money for themselves? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do some bus driver's keep SOME of the money to themselves so they can make extra cash? I know some bus drivers who overcharge people or judge their age.

ReputationRep:
    ..............No.

ReputationRep:
    No I doubt they do, but this still does not stop 99% of them from being Class A ****ers

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the money locked in a box they don't have access to?

In Edinburgh... Bus Driver's cant open the hopper with teh money in it lol there's even a sticker on it wot says "Drivers have no access to cash"

ReputationRep:
      Bus drivers have a little box that goes into the ticket machine called a 'module'. This logs everything. At the end of their shift they take all the money they've taken that day and put it into a machine, along with their module. This calculates how much money they should have taken, so if its above/below, questions will be asked.

They can't pocket the money for themselves because by issuing a ticket to a passenger, their module has recorded how much money they should have.

Source : my father has driven buses for 10 years

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilickbatteries)
      Bus drivers have a little box that goes into the ticket machine called a 'module'. This logs everything. At the end of their shift they take all the money they've taken that day and put it into a machine, along with their module. This calculates how much money they should have taken, so if its above/below, questions will be asked.

They can't pocket the money for themselves because by issuing a ticket to a passenger, their module has recorded how much money they should have.

unless someone asks for a single and they say "thats a pound" and doesn't issue a ticket because "the machine isn't working for singles"

ReputationRep:
      I doubt it.
      I get a lot of people at work thinking I'm keeping the cash for myself though. Gets on my nerves.
      We only keep 3 £10's in the till and no £20's so they go straight in the cash drawer underneath. When customers see I've put it to the side while bagging up their stuff, they always question me! Like I'd steal money so clearly. Jeez.

ReputationRep:
      not where i'm from, the money goes in this big **** off box that they can't open, not even to give you change.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chemical_bex)
      I doubt it.
      I get a lot of people at work thinking I'm keeping the cash for myself though. Gets on my nerves.
      We only keep 3 £10's in the till and no £20's so they go straight in the cash drawer underneath. When customers see I've put it to the side while bagging up their stuff, they always question me! Like I'd steal money so clearly. Jeez.
      Maybe you've just got a dishonest way about you.

ReputationRep:
      Well, they can hardly do that in London, since nearly everybody uses Oyster cards :ahee:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Joinedup)
      Maybe you've just got a dishonest way about you.
      I do look pretty dodgy :bandit:

ReputationRep:

Unless they take more money off the passenger than they should, put the normal amount in and pocket the extra...

ReputationRep:
      Put it this way, if bus drivers could easily pocket the money themselves, they'd all be at it, however everything is logged, there are cameras on buses, inspectors etc etc. It would be very difficult for a driver to take enough money to make it worth his while and to not get caught.

(Original post by munn)
      unless someone asks for a single and they say "thats a pound" and doesn't issue a ticket because "the machine isn't working for singles"
      If the ticket machine isn't working, the driver would pull over and phone his inspector/supervisor/manager etc, who would decide to run the service back to the depot, pull the bus and replace it. That gives the driver a fairly small window of time to cheat the system.

Ticket machines either print all tickets or none at all. No way that scenario could happen, at least not with the ticket machines we have up here.

(Original post by fran.ha)
      Unless they take more money off the passenger than they should, put the normal amount in and pocket the extra...
      Up to the passenger to check their change against the ticket.

Say you're travelling from stop 2 to stop 8 on a bus that finishes at stop 15.

You get a ticket from 2 to 8. Say that's £2.00. If the driver issues you a ticket to stop 6 and that's only £1.50, but charges you £2.00, you'll look at your ticket and expect 50p change. Surely you'd bring that issue up with the driver, as you're 50p out of pocket.

The lesson here is - always check your ticket. Mistakes do happen.

I'm not saying that there aren't bent drivers, of course there are. I'm sure in every bus depot, most bars, shops etc there will be or will have been a member of staff on the take. What I am saying is the reasons why it's very uncommon on buses. You will invariably get caught.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by chemical_bex)
      I doubt it.
      I know what you mean, we're only allowed a certain amount of 10s, no 20s or 50s and you have to put it in the draw everytime. I've never been questioned but then again I usually just stick it in the drawer now and make the customer wait a few extra seconds. Not worth getting a *******ing off the manager tbh.

ReputationRep:
      If the ticket machine isn't working, the driver would pull over and phone his inspector/supervisor/manager etc, who would decide to run the service back to the depot, pull the bus and replace it. That gives the driver a fairly small window of time to cheat the system.

Ticket machines either print all tickets or none at all. No way that scenario could happen, at least not with the ticket machines we have up here.
      Have you ever heard of lying? How many customers know this is policy?

ReputationRep:
      I know what you mean, we're only allowed a certain amount of 10s, no 20s or 50s and you have to put it in the draw everytime. I've never been questioned but then again I usually just stick it in the drawer now and make the customer wait a few extra seconds. Not worth getting a *******ing off the manager tbh.
      I wish I could do that. For some reason, as soon as a receipt appears I get into a big faff and feel like I have to get everything done right away. Which means I often forget to put the odd £20 or £50 in the drawer right away
      Awful I know. I'll see if I can chill next time and make the customer wait!

ReputationRep:
      Too many cameras. Too much CCTV. No escape.

ReputationRep:
      Bus drivers are good folk who have to endure a lot of hassle, how dare you question their integrity!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by munn)
      Have you ever heard of lying? How many customers know this is policy?
      I see the point you're making but really it just seems as if you're arguing for the sake of it.

Sure, a driver could lie to a passenger, say the machine isn't working and the fare is £X.XX, but he'd have to do that with every customer after that until his bus is empty. If an inspector boarded the bus, the driver would get in trouble for lying, as it would become clear the machine is working. The module wouldn't record anything for the duration of the journey, which would prompt the technicians to inspect the machine, when they find no fault, the management would call the driver in to explain it.

He might get away with that once, but not twice. Don't forget there is CCTV as well. Any business worth its salt takes the utmost precautions against employee theft, because yes it does happen of course it happens, but more often than not, you get caught, sacked, trialled, and possibly convicted, leaving you unable to get a position in the future.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.