Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a commonly asked question (I am assuming it is, however this is my first post), but I am having difficult selecting my fourth AS level to study.

I wish to be studying English at cambridge in the future, and as such my A-level choices at the moment stand:

English Literature (Predicted A* for GCSE)
    English Language ^^
    German ^^

For number four, I would really like to do Media Studies, however I am reminded constantly that this is a 'soft' A-level and therefore looked down upon. If you could recommend me an A-level to do, that would be great, or tell me otherwise that media studies is not as disgusting as people make it seem?

ReputationRep:
    I would check first of all that English lit and language are counted as separate subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, it is the case that a certain stigma is attached to Media Studies, and while I can not say whether or not it is the case that it is less rigorous than other A-levels (though I suspect so) I would strongly consider to choose any other traditional subject if you wish to maximise your chances at getting a place. However I would say that there is no set policy on this sort of thing that I am aware of, so don't take my advice as gospel.

But seeing as you have not finished your GCSEs, I would more strongly advise studying for them to get the best grades possible.

Edit: English language does not have the same reputation as Media, but nevertheless is also perceived by many to be 'soft', and studying more differing subjects broadens your horizons. Perhaps you could consider replacing that as well? You are going to have to make a choice between studying the subjects you want to study, and maximising your chances of a Cambridge offer. I would say the first is more important, but you may differ on this.

ReputationRep:
    From Trinity College
    "LIST B
    A-levels of More Limited Suitability
    Art & Design (Arts)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    English Language (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Media Studies (Arts)"

From Cambridge site
    "Where straight English Literature is not offered at an applicant's school/college, the combined English Language and Literature A level is acceptable.
    Modern/Classical Languages and History are also useful subjects, though not essential, and many successful applicants have studied Mathematics and science subjects."

English is a competitive subject. If you can get high grades in History or RS or a language (or even Maths or a science) you will have a significantly stronger application. Both English Language & Media studies are regarded as weaker and you won't learn as much that will be helpful to your English Lit. This will also be true for many of your second choices such as bristol, Durham, Leeds or UCL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.