Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i have finished my A-levels and got my results in August.

A Levels:

Economics (A) I was 1 mark of an A* if that has any significance.
    Maths (A)
    Biology (B)

My GCSE's were: 7A*, 4A and 1B.

Now i have left my application so late as i wasnt sure what i wanted to do and i have little time to decide on which universities to apply to.

So can people please give me some suggestions of unis to check out that i could get into with these A levels.

Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflex)

A Levels:

Maths (A)
    Biology (B)

Now i have left my application so late as i wasnt sure what i wanted to do and i have little time to decide on which universities to apply to.

So can people please give me some suggestions of unis to check out that i could get into with these A levels.

Much appreciated
    There are loads. Just to name a few which have AAB requirements: Southampton, Birmingham, York, Manchester

by the way, you done your personal statement?
    and how comes it took you so long to decide? (was there another course that you wanted to do?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    There are loads. Just to name a few which have AAB requirements: Southampton, Birmingham, York, Manchester

by the way, you done your personal statement?
    and how comes it took you so long to decide? (was there another course that you wanted to do?)
    Well i am really interested in Biology aswel and so i was looking at courses involving that amongst some other courses but then i just decided that i prefered Economics

And i havent even started my personal statement yet :s i just left everything so late as always!

ReputationRep:
    Well i am really interested in Biology aswel and so i was looking at courses involving that amongst some other courses but then i just decided that i prefered Economics

And i havent even started my personal statement yet :s i just left everything so late as always!
    Not to panic you here but you have left it pretty late to start applying- personal statements often require a number of drafts before they are ready to be sent off along with reference etc. A lot of top economics unis will have received their applications around October/early November time and given out offers so get cracking!
    With regards to unis you have many options- St Andrews is a top one requiring AAB, Birmingham is also v. good.

ReputationRep:

Did you apply through your school last year?

You might want to go there and talk to your tutor (or whoeevr will write your reference) because they won't know you're applying for economics - assuming you didn;t apply for this course last time round because of what you've mentioned. Also, while you're there, you could even get them to mention that you werre 1 mark off an A* in the reference.

Just out of curiousity, what made you chooce economics over biology and other courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Not to panic you here but you have left it pretty late to start applying- personal statements often require a number of drafts before they are ready to be sent off along with reference etc. A lot of top economics unis will have received their applications around October/early November time and given out offers so get cracking!
    With regards to unis you have many options- St Andrews is a top one requiring AAB, Birmingham is also v. good.
    hmm......i believe its AAA

ReputationRep:
    York

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, Southampton, York, Manchester in that order imo, but there all pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Okay, i am now starting to panic :eek:

Do you still think i have enough time to get this done?

Also what about Nottingham University? They say AAA-AABB, is there any chance they would accept me there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    York
    What is it like in York? How is the course and the teaching?

ReputationRep:

A Levels:

Maths (A)
    Biology (B)

Much appreciated
    University of York.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster followed by York

If you're looking towards the south then Southampton, Exeter maybe? Bristol and Bath would be a bit too much perhaps. Birmingham and Aston if you're looking for central England

ReputationRep:

The Deadline is over a month away, if it was Jan 7th and not Dec 7th there might be cause for concern. Its not gonna take a month to put an application together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheepmaster317)
    Lancaster followed by York

If you're looking towards the south then Southampton, Exeter maybe? Bristol and Bath would be a bit too much perhaps. Birmingham and Aston if you're looking for central England
    Lancaster seems to require AAA? Is there any chance that a Uni requiring AAA would offer me a place with AAB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    The Deadline is over a month away, if it was Jan 7th and not Dec 7th there might be cause for concern. Its not gonna take a month to put an application together.
    Its going to take a few weeks to get the personal statement done though....although I think OP is on a gap year so he could probably get it finished sooner than that

ReputationRep:

Also what about Nottingham University? They say AAA-AABB, is there any chance they would accept me there?
    Please don't panic- I suppose it is better to be prepared than to rush an application through. If you can get a draft done in the next few days that would be a good start. Has your teacher written a reference for you yet?
    With regards to unis- I was wrong about St Andrews (sorry) cos they are now AAA but Nottingham is definitely worth consideration. Have a look at another student room thread called 'the alternative economics league table' which may help you with choices. Apparantly Notts are looking for 7A*s at GCSE which you have so that would put you in a strong position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Its going to take a few weeks to get the personal statement done though....although I think OP is on a gap year so he could probably get it finished sooner than that
    A few weeks! I understand you are going to want to get it right, but in my opinion thats taking it way too far!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    A few weeks! I understand you are going to want to get it right, but in my opinion thats taking it way too far!
    so how long did you take to get your personal statement ready to be sent off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    so how long did you take to get your personal statement ready to be sent off?
    A long while since I did mine but not long at all.

ReputationRep:

A Levels:

Maths (A)
    Biology (B)

Much appreciated
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1382873

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.