Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't have any proper friends Watch

Ugh, something occurred to me the other day, and it's been bugging me and making me feel down ever since...

I don't have any proper friends.

There is nobody who texts me first. There is nobody at home or uni who ever invites me out, nobody I hang around with. I see everyone walking around and hanging with their friend groups, but I don't have a friend group. That's not to say I'm desperate. I did hang around with a group of about 4/5 people up 'til about a month ago but I was the hang-on member. If i was left behind, there was no waiting for me. And they always invited each other out to various things but I was left out so when I got the hint about that I stopped hanging round with them. Nobody noticed.

Having said that, although I may not be desperate, I really do want a friend group. I feel so left out and so lonely not having any friends. I'm just crap at conversation, and people tend to think I'm odd or boring or dull.

I just wish this situation would correct itself. I don't know what to do though.

ReputationRep:
    BumperBo would be your friend if he knew you
    BumperBo just loves people as long as they arent douches he'll hang with them

ReputationRep:
    ok i dunno if you're a girl or guy but i was a bit of a sheep in school & 'just there' in my group of friends. do your own thing ... START A BAND, that's what I'm gonna do ,oh, and talk about something everyone can relate to & NOT SOMETHING like physics

ReputationRep:
    It's not a permanent thing. Things change and you meet new people. I'd say I've only got one proper friend, but different groups of people I go out with. But in those groups, everyone's expendible. If any one person isn't there, Boone cares. Just the nature of a group I guess. When you meet new people, try to create a bond between you. E.g if you both like the same music and chat about it, post a link for a gig nearby on their facebook, suggesting you and a group go. This gives you more of a standing in the group as then you've got personal stories/jokes with another member of thevgroup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ugh, something occurred to me the other day, and it's been bugging me and making me feel down ever since...

There is nobody who texts me first. There is nobody at home or uni who ever invites me out, nobody I hang around with. I see everyone walking around and hanging with their friend groups, but I don't have a friend group. That's not to say I'm desperate. I did hang around with a group of about 4/5 people up 'til about a month ago but I was the hang-on member. If i was left behind, there was no waiting for me. And they always invited each other out to various things but I was left out so when I got the hint about that I stopped hanging round with them. Nobody noticed.

Having said that, although I may not be desperate, I really do want a friend group. I feel so left out and so lonely not having any friends. I'm just crap at conversation, and people tend to think I'm odd or boring or dull.

I just wish this situation would correct itself. I don't know what to do though.
    Join the club.

ReputationRep:

I feel the same in someways OP, but the difference is im at sixth form, not at uni, but i get you, things do get better, believe me, once you start relax a little, people will notice you, i felt the misery of being left out for 3 months, and now i have finally found some REAL friends, you will eventually make friends good luck OP

ReputationRep:
    I am not surprised -you are a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    BumperBo would be your friend if he knew you
    BumperBo just loves people as long as they arent douches he'll hang with them
    markrush has missed Bumperbo's third person speech patterns.

ReputationRep:
    That's bad news.

ReputationRep:
    you'll probably make some at Uni :-)

ReputationRep:
    So what? there are no real friends nowadays. Everyone's fake beside your family. Open your eyes people and see what sorrounds you.. people will always take advantage of you, doesnt matter if thats ure friend or not. Everyone's selfish and is only thinking abour their own arses.
    If you want to go far, go alone cause there will always be someone who will envy ure success or achievement.
    Personally, i have ''friends''- people i hang out with but they know 20% about me and my life..just superficially. I always share everything with my family. Friends are ure closest enemies

ps: people will probably neg rep this (which is the last thing i care about in this life I guess pople dont have anything else to do but positive/neg rep on TSR :lol: ) but heey, I am happy because i can live my life as i want without being biched around, gossiped or any dirty things like that - cause yeah, 'real' friends do that to. They'll feel happy only if they see you somewhere below them..

ReputationRep:
    This is me, except I still live with that group. Until May. AWKWARD, lol. :p:

ReputationRep:

Buddy, you're the same as me, the exact same.
    nobody has ever texted me first... :sad:

ReputationRep:

get some brains in that little hrad of yours and some harsh real life experience and maybe them you'll look at things differently.

"nobody texts me first''....i have to say that... i F*******ing laughed my arse off. :lol: you're so desperate jeeez, have never seen a person like you in my who life.

ReputationRep:
    If you're bad at conversation, try DOING something e.g. A film, a gig, a society of some type? Or meet some new people and start afresh.

ReputationRep:

ask people around, organise a night out and do it often and they'll make friends with you

ReputationRep:

ouch.... um why don't you talk to people from your subject... maybe it because your quite?? try to join a few clubs/ societies that interest you... then you will get a 'friend group' in no time...

ReputationRep:
    despite the fact our population is increasing everyday, the number of threads i see here on friendship, makes me fail to understand why the hell are so many people lonely these days? Its actually quite sad, that many of us dont have any proper friends and i often wonder why that is? Maybe because.....

Many of us are just arrogant, we all want our own way in everything and refuse to compromise.

We fail to forgive people? we choose to meander alone rather being with someone :dontknow:

OP you just need to make a little extra effort with people, believe me in the beginning you'll be inviting/texting people first, but believe me things dont stick that way forever, you'll soon be welcome by them too. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, me too. :ashamed2: I'm feeling the impact of the lonliness right now! I don't know what to say to you, because i don't know what to do about it myself. Like you, i'm the tag along in a group of friends who i know don't really care about me like they care about each other. Even when i do text, i usually don't get replies or people wait a couple of days to reply because i'm that "push over" type that's too kind and won't say anything. I guess. :nopity:

How old are you? I'm just hoping i'll make some decent friends at university, so hopefully it'll be the same for you.

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone.

(Original post by RoshniDiya)
    Oh, me too. :ashamed2: I'm feeling the impact of the lonliness right now! I don't know what to say to you, because i don't know what to do about it myself. Like you, i'm the tag along in a group of friends who i know don't really care about me like they care about each other. Even when i do text, i usually don't get replies or people wait a couple of days to reply because i'm that "push over" type that's too kind and won't say anything. I guess. :nopity:

How old are you? I'm just hoping i'll make some decent friends at university, so hopefully it'll be the same for you.
    I'm 19, in my first year.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.