Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AA

ReputationRep:
    If you let t* be the average length of time, then the average cost will just be:

Average length of call time x cost per minute.

F(t*) x cost per minute. Unless I'm missing something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    If you let t* be the average length of time, then the average cost will just be:

Average length of call time x cost per minute.

F(t*) x cost per minute. Unless I'm missing something.
    Thanks for your reply. But what would be the average cost? as in a number and not in terms of t*.

ReputationRep:
    You can't solve it, unless you have some other information. Something like "you want to find the minimum average cost".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    You can't solve it, unless you have some other information. Something like "you want to find the minimum average cost".
    I have the median time as 0.4142 minutes if thats of any use. And it just says find the average cost incurred from the typical caller. I'm pretty sure it wants a number for it but can't seem to figure out how to get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    The time that a customer is put on hold is given by F(t) = 1-(t+1)^-2 where t is measured in minutes. The company who runs the helpline incurs a cost of 6(t+1)^0.5 pence who is on hold for t minutes. Find the average cost.
    I'm not sure how I can start this question off. can someone please give me a few hints please. Thanks.
    F(t) is your distribution function right? Use the density function.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Makes more sense. I was assuming it was just a standard function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    F(t) is your distribution function right? Use the density function.
    Thanks. I have the density function as 2(t+1)^-3. But I'm not sure what you would use it for. Do I set it to 0 and find the mode then sub that into the expression for cost? Or is that completely wrong?
    EDIT: actually I realised it cant be solved....I'm completey stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I have the density function as 2(t+1)^-3. But I'm not sure what you would use it for. Do I set it to 0 and find the mode then sub that into the expression? Or is that completely wrong?
    so the density function f(t)=2(t+1)^-3 is a bit like the probability that it lasts t, (though of course it's not the probability, but it is useful to think of it like this informally).

If this were a discrete problem, and the probability of it lasting t were P(t), and the cost were c(t), how would you work out the expectation of the cost (if t were numbers 0,1,2,....)?

ReputationRep:
    so the density function f(t)=2(t+1)^-3 is a bit like the probability that it lasts t, (though of course it's not the probability, but it is useful to think of it like this informally).

If this were a discrete problem, and the probability of it lasting t were P(t), and the cost were c(t), how would you work out the expectation of the cost (if t were numbers 0,1,2,....)?
    Do I integrate from 0 to infinity P(t)*c(t)?

ReputationRep:
    Do I integrate from 0 to infinity P(t)*c(t)?
    Well, for a discrete version, you would sum, but yes, in this case, you integrate

\int_{0}^{\infty}c(t)f(t)dt

In general, E[g(X)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x)f(x)dx

g(x) is a function of some random variable X, f(x) is the density function of X. In this case, X is time, and g(x) is c(x), the cost.

ReputationRep:
    Well, for a discrete version, you would sum, but yes, in this case, you integrate

\int_{0}^{\infty}c(t)f(t)dt

In general, E[g(X)] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x)f(x)dx

g(x) is a function of some random variable X, f(x) is the density function of X. In this case, X is time, and g(x) is c(x), the cost.
    Thanks! Lol this is a bit random, but when I was searching about the density function I came across the Dirac Delta function so found it quite funny that you helped me with probability with that as you name. . Anyway thats the end of the randomness thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Lol this is a bit random, but when I was searching about the density function I came across the Dirac Delta function so found it quite funny that you helped me with probability with that as you name. . Anyway thats the end of the randomness thanks again!
    No problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.