Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Im going to be a third year next academic year, but it will be my fourth year as i repeated my second year

This means all the people i know now will be gone! Hence i won't have any house mates. Gutted!

Anyway! Has anyone stayed in Benjamin russell Court before? or Queens court?
    Was it any good? Quiet or the same at halls in the first year?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks TSR-ers! :P

ReputationRep:
    Your in luck (:
    I've just finished my first term at dmu and i'm staying in Benjamin russell court (Along with a couple of other people on this forum as well) and i could not praise the halls more! They're friendly, the staff are helpful and its perfectly located right dead centre of the campus with all the amenities you could need with Nats off license and Interlude on site. The rents brilliantly priced for what you get as well.

Although i must note that yesterday Benjamin Russell Court owners Derwent living sold the halls to Mansion who will be taking charge of the halls, i beleive everything has stayed the same price wise and Mansion intend on refurblishing the whole of the halls and every single flat will be new for summer, and you will be able to see what they will look like in a showflat after christmas in Jan!

The only downside to BRC is the fact that it costs £5 to do all your washing (£2 colours £2 Whites £1 dryer) which when your like me and far into your overdraft as i am is a bit of a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! My only concern's really are the sharing of bathroom/toilet facilities and noise levels!
    I'm not a snob by any means, but my first year halls were a nightmare for both :P

Did you get any say over who you shared the flat with?

Thanks for all that btw! nice to know you are enjoying your time at DMU!

ReputationRep:
    I'm living at Benjamin Russell currently, and it's awesome! It's true sharing bathrooms is a bit of a pain and the noise levels sometime but all in all it's good!

The flats are single sexed so you'd be sharing with 4 other girls, but one thing I didn't know was that you can stay there for the 2nd AND 3rd year?! I thought it was only for 1st's because it's on campus and owned by the Uni? At least that's what I've heard o;

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in Benjamin Russell and stayed here last year too (as a fresher). They are very nice halls, the people in the office are lovely and really helpful. This is actually my 4th year of university and so I've been in rubbish, noisy halls with messy flat mates and in a house. Benjamin Russell this year has been by far the best.

As someone said above they have been taken over by Mansion, but the prices HAVE gone up. According to the Mansion website they are from £90.50 a week for a room in a 5 bed flat, to £98.50 for a room in a 3 bed flat.

I'm really disappointed in the price increase as this is an increase of £12 a week! They are going to refurbish the flats, they are basically changing the kitchen - taking away the table and putting in a silly breakfast bar and another sofa. The floors look like they will be replaced with laminate in the kitchen and bedrooms. The bedroom furniture looks the same in the photos apart from the bed being a 1 and 3/4 size bed.

The halls have been nice and quiet over the last 2 years, a lot of people living here are 2nd and 3rd years although DMU now books out a percentage of rooms for freshers. I was going to stay for my final year but now I'm not so sure with the price rise.

This year they introduced a cleaning service so your flat communal areas get cleaned every week. I'm not sure if this will continue under Mansion next year but I would expect it would as they are advertising themselves as a luxury student hall. I was surprised that they were single sex this year as last year they weren't.

I hope this was at all helpful.
    Mousie_grr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrilleh)
    Hey!

Im going to be a third year next academic year, but it will be my fourth year as i repeated my second year

This means all the people i know now will be gone! Hence i won't have any house mates. Gutted!

Anyway! Has anyone stayed in Benjamin russell Court before? or Queens court?
    Was it any good? Quiet or the same at halls in the first year?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks TSR-ers! :P
    Benjamin Russell Court is quite good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.