Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking About Deleting My Facebook Account! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm really considering deleting my Facebook account for various reasons. Firstly, it's such a distraction when it comes to getting work done, and when you're a computing student it's even worse! Secondly, it's a complete time waster, I can sit there for hours reading the same page over and over, then wonder where all the time went. Also, the new Facebook layout has really p*ssed me off, and you can't change it back! Oh, and I hate how many *****y statuses my friends put, then their friends comment on it like 'I know who this is about!!' We can all relate to this, right?

The only regret I would have of deleting Facebook, would be losing all my distant friends I found on there, especially since I'm going to uni next year, I don't wanna just forget about everyone I've met, it'd be horrible! And missing party notifications and stuff like that would be annoying to, Facebook is pretty much where everything gets announced these days!

Your views?

ReputationRep:
    Just deactivate it for a while. See how you feel about not having it in your life for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Just deactivate it for a while. See how you feel about not having it in your life for a while.
    This. If you only de-activate it you can very easily get it back just the way it was.

ReputationRep:
    Get a friend or family member to change your password to something they won't remember (like a sequence of numbers) and then get them to put it away somewhere.

When you want to go back to facebook, it'll still be there, and the password will be available to you again.

ReputationRep:
    or there is this thing, they invented it a while ago .. something like SC oh ye that's it

SELF CONTROL !!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can't actually delete your FB account - you can only deactivate it.
    During my last year of high school, I have.. probably deactivated my FB account 10 times. Those were my feeble attempts to battle against procrastination - and they failed. My best advice is not to completely shun it or turn your back away from it. Allocate say, 20 minutes everyday on FB and limit yourself. Personally, I think FB is a great way to remain in contact with friends you may not see on a daily basis.
    And as for your friends who post annoying statuses - just ignore them. They obviously have too much free time on their hands.

P.S As you are going to university next year, the ability to battle against temptations and managing your time efficiently are essential skills to have.
    This can be a good practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CZephyr)
    Well, you can't actually delete your FB account - you can only deactivate it.
    During my last year of high school, I have.. probably deactivated my FB account 10 times. Those were my feeble attempts to battle against procrastination - and they failed. My best advice is not to completely shun it or turn your back away from it. Allocate say, 20 minutes everyday on FB and limit yourself. Personally, I think FB is a great way to remain in contact with friends you may not see on a daily basis.
    And as for your friends who post annoying statuses - just ignore them. They obviously have too much free time on their hands.

P.S As you are going to university next year, the ability to battle against temptations and managing your time efficiently are essential skills to have.
    This can be a good practice.
    you were saying

https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contac...delete_account

ReputationRep:
    Don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you telling the internet? Do it or dont, you seem to be well reasoned so make a decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh398)
    I'm really considering deleting my Facebook account for various reasons. Firstly, it's such a distraction when it comes to getting work done, and when you're a computing student it's even worse! Secondly, it's a complete time waster, I can sit there for hours reading the same page over and over, then wonder where all the time went. Also, the new Facebook layout has really p*ssed me off, and you can't change it back! Oh, and I hate how many *****y statuses my friends put, then their friends comment on it like 'I know who this is about!!' We can all relate to this, right?

The only regret I would have of deleting Facebook, would be losing all my distant friends I found on there, especially since I'm going to uni next year, I don't wanna just forget about everyone I've met, it'd be horrible! And missing party notifications and stuff like that would be annoying to, Facebook is pretty much where everything gets announced these days!

Your views?
    Get rid of it.

ReputationRep:
    If you delete it, you'll just find another site to procrastinate on.

(Original post by stop-drop-n-lol)
      If you delete it, you'll just find another site to procrastinate on.
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk possibly?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk possibly?
      Ha, maybe. Luckily I cured myself of that a long time ago

ReputationRep:
      Oh wow! I thought I was more tech savvy than this and now I feel like an utter idiot
      But thanks for letting me know
      To OP, I don't recommend deleting it. I swear you will just make another account after a few days. Like I said before - just learn self control.

ReputationRep:
      Can you actually delete it? :curious:

Anyway, yeah, just deactivate it for now.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Your views?
      Go for it...you will not be missed by anyone! I gather that's why on earth you are telling the world? To see if anyone cares, but plain and simple, no one gives a damn if you print out a screen dump of your profile and shove it up your arse....jog on....

Your views?
        Your information is retained by the people that do Facebook after you leave... forever.

So you might as well not leave, but just not log in for a while. If you can't resist the temptation to log in, then you need to learn some discipline.

ReputationRep:
        deleting your facebook account? Wait, who are you again? :confused:

ReputationRep:
        never delete it as you never know. deactivate instead. I wanted to delete mine as I was bullied on facebook and even threatened. but I deleted the horrible people from my list and blocked them. point is deactivate. is just as good. just reverseable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.