Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think that my ISP, ask4, is blocking certain sites by DNS, which really bothers me.

I'm trying to view the wikileaks.org site, but the DNS always fails to resolve.
    I've got no interest in actually viewing the site, and I can if I use the IP address or go to an alternative domain wikileaks.ch (which points to the same IP).

Could some one who uses ask4 verify if they can access wikileaks.org please?

ReputationRep:
    Wikileaks.org is no longer being used, as the registrar dropped it I believe. They now have multiple internationally registered mirrors - famously, that .ch one - Switzerland.

I'm on Ask4 and wikileaks.ch works just fine. Wikileaks.org is dead, however, but has been since the DNS company pulled it.

ReputationRep:
      Ah, wasn't aware they dropped the .org domain.
      Just finished writing an abusive email, now who do I send it to!?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by stop-drop-n-lol)
      Ah, wasn't aware they dropped the .org domain.
      Just finished writing an abusive email, now who do I send it to!?
      They didnt drop it, the company that hosted the Domain name canceled it due to DDOS attacks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kenny_uk)
      They didnt drop it, the company that hosted the Domain name canceled it due to DDOS attacks
      Oh, ok.

But how would a DDOS attack on the server effect the DNS provider in any way? All they would notice is a small increase in people requesting the IP address.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by stop-drop-n-lol)
      Oh, ok.

But how would a DDOS attack on the server effect the DNS provider in any way? All they would notice is a small increase in people requesting the IP address.
      Small increase? Try a massive one, honestly, DDOS attacks can involve hundreds upon thousands of requests in a small period of time, too much for the server

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kenny_uk)
      Small increase? Try a massive one, honestly, DDOS attacks can involve hundreds upon thousands of requests in a small period of time, too much for the server
      Your ISP and your local DNS would cache the IP address, so your ISP may request the IP address once and then anyone taking part in the DDOS would be getting requesting the IP from their ISP, or from their computers cache.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      I'm on Ask4 and wikileaks.ch works just fine. Wikileaks.org is dead, however, but has been since the DNS company pulled it.
      Do you know what happened to the IRC? Presumably the old server got pulled with the site but has a new one been set up to your knowledge?

(Original post by ANARCHY__)
        Do you know what happened to the IRC? Presumably the old server got pulled with the site but has a new one been set up to your knowledge?
        I haven't tried, but I guess they might have ported it over to the .ch domain.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.