Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best board for self teaching Decision Maths & FP1? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've already done A level Maths, on WJEC, however, they do not offer decision maths so I'd have to do it on another board, I think that's possible.
    I want to do computer science at university next year and am currently on a gap year, so I thought I might as well learn decision maths...and if so, I might as well just do FP1 so I can have an AS in it.
    So I'm wondering, what exam board would be the best for self teaching in terms of resources available, easyness etc?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think that you might need to do two of the Further Maths modules (i.e. FP1 + FP3) and another module to get the AS in it. I'm doing OCR at the moment, taught, but it's fairly easy. OCR is often considered to be quite an easy exam board.

As for resources available, there's textbooks, but that's about it when you get beyond C1/C2/S1/M1 level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)
    I think that you might need to do two of the Further Maths modules (i.e. FP1 + FP3) and another module to get the AS in it. I'm doing OCR at the moment, taught, but it's fairly easy. OCR is often considered to be quite an easy exam board.

As for resources available, there's textbooks, but that's about it when you get beyond C1/C2/S1/M1 level.
    Do you mean on OCR, or in general? Because I know people who've gone further maths AS with two normal modules.

Also, did I pm you about the websites mentioned in your sig? If so, please answer! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i do edexcel myself, AS maths and f maths, the official books released by edexcel/heinemann are pretty good for self teaching - http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...Resources.aspx

They have great worked examples, excercises and are straight to the point with what you need to learn/remember and also have past papaer questions, however i have heard OCR board is easier :| maybe others on that board could clarify tht :P

As far as modules, for an AS its 300 UMS - 3 UNits, for FUrther maths FP1 plus two applied units (mechanics,stats or decision) if you go on to A2 the another 3 units and FP2 or FP3 is compulsory ie you dont have to do both of them unlike other boards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coda)

For OCR you need to do FP1 and two applied modules in order to get an AS in further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    For OCR you need to do FP1 and two applied modules in order to get an AS in further maths.
    I apologise. I was under the impression that it was two pure modules and an applied module.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.