Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, Im contemplating a gap year when I finish my A levels, but I need some advice. Basically for anyone who has taken a gap year, did you feel more or less motivated to go to uni after the year off? Im worried that after a year off I will be less motivated. Is it best to take a gap year before or after uni? Did you feel lonely on the gap year with most of your friends at uni? Also, does anyone know roughly how much a few months travelling would cost? (in australia and america mainly). What sort of jobs (with just gcses and a levels) are they looking for in those countries? A lot of questions but thanks in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year, have found most of my friends are at uni, so am now living and working for my aunt met some new people, doing lots of things, earning money, applying for summer jobs. Good to be away from everything and just allow myself to be around different people. Sort of scared I am going to be really behind on my maths next year but hopefully not. Went to visit some of my uni friends, nice to know my life is less hard work than theirs. Need to get some proper work experience planned though.

ReputationRep:
    I was excited to be starting uni, yet I would have loved to have another gap year. CV wise, it's better not to take a gap year between uni and work, because you then have a gap on your CV. I'd advise you to do it if you want, just do something useful with it You only get one shot at life, you might as well make the most of it. Saying that...I dunno if I would have done it if I were in your shoes, with the higher fees and all that :erm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.