Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, would you ever tell a man he is handsome/attractive if you weren't going out? Watch

Or would you jsut think it or tell you friends. I know men don't reallyget many compliments from girls but give a lot but was wondering

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them they were attractive if they clearly needed a confidence boost. Say, they'd come to me about feeling ugly or not being able to get a gf, I'd tell him I thought he was attractive. I wouldn't say it for the sake of saying it though.

However, I would tell my female friends if I thought someone was rather yummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I'd tell them they were attractive if they clearly needed a confidence boost. Say, they'd come to me about feeling ugly or not being able to get a gf, I'd tell him I thought he was attractive. I wouldn't say it for the sake of saying it though.

Same. I wouldn't tell him for the sake of it as often a lot of guys get the wrong impression if you do that.

ReputationRep:
    i get compliments like that from girls all the time
    though it's never a "chat-up" compliment though, just a matter-of-fact "that's because you're good looking" type compliment
    i don't need that kind of compliment they're useless to me

i've been getting loads more since i got my hair-cut though my hair must have been holding me back all these years

edit: negged for being honest

ReputationRep:
    I'd think it and tell my friends. If they needed to hear it or they really were exceptionally good looking one day then I'd say it.
    But it's just not me to go round complimenting people on their looks like that for no real reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    i get compliments like that from girls all the time
    though it's never a "chat-up" compliment though, just a matter-of-fact "that's because you're good looking" type compliment
    i don't need that kind of compliment they're useless to me

i've been getting loads more since i got my hair-cut though my hair must have been holding me back all these years
    ^ BEST spoiler ever!

ReputationRep:
    Not a random person, no. A friend, like kat2pult said, if he needed it. Or a friend, if i kind of secretly liked him in that way, though it would still be awkward for me.

Yes, there's a guy I like, and I tell him this all the time. The only reason why we're not going out, is because he lives in a different country

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt really go and say that to a random guy whom i dont know.

Some guys can take the compliments the wrong way and think you fancy them.... so it would be best not to go up to random guys and tell them that.
    With girls they just appreciate the compliment.

But if its a guy i know well... then yeah. If he looks good wearing a new shirt/top or a new hair cut, I dont see anything wrong with a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    Of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, compliment =/= come-on.

ReputationRep:
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    A random guy, no. A friend, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Not a girl but often when I'm chatting with Simon Weston on skype i'll give him some compliments to keep his morale and confidence up. His new mullet hairstyle is cool as ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)

Pretty much this tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Barely.
    I've only said that to my ex, very close gay friend and to some very very close guy friends. (because i know they will not think that i am flirting w/ them)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't mind telling an attractive guy that they're attractive.Though I can only do it if I already know them or if they're very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobaloo)
    Yes, I don't mind telling an attractive guy that they're attractive.Though I can only do it if I already know them or if they're very friendly.
    I second this

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I guess I would say something like that to my male friends if that's what I really thought.

ReputationRep:
    I'll tell guy friends that they look handsome but never in a really deep way unless he's my partner.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.