Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Using a Natwest Credit Card..Is this a bad idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm short on money for my Christmas shopping and have used up almost all of my £500 overdraft on my student debit card, when I start my 2nd term in January though my bank told me that I could extend my overdraft to £750.

I was thinking of using my credit card to finish my Christmas shopping, I'll need to spend roughly £120 on it. I'm a bit worried about the charges though, I've been advised to avoid credit cards completely.

So, what I'm asking is, if I spend roughly £120 on my credit card, how much will I be expected to pay back on it in under a month? I'm not really sure how all of this works I don't want to end up with horrible charges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mellybean91)
    I'm short on money for my Christmas shopping and have used up almost all of my £500 overdraft on my student debit card, when I start my 2nd term in January though my bank told me that I could extend my overdraft to £750.

I was thinking of using my credit card to finish my Christmas shopping, I'll need to spend roughly £120 on it. I'm a bit worried about the charges though, I've been advised to avoid credit cards completely.

So, what I'm asking is, if I spend roughly £120 on my credit card, how much will I be expected to pay back on it in under a month? I'm not really sure how all of this works I don't want to end up with horrible charges.

If you pay the full amount back by the end of the month (actually I think Natwest give you 56 days) then you will incur no interest or charges.

If you keep a balance on the card for over 56 days but stay within your credit limit and pay at least the minimum amount on time then you'll be charged interest but not fees.

If you go over your credit limit then you'll be charged a fee, and if you don't pay the minimum payment within 56 days then you'll be charged both interest and fees.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a student account with Natwest you can get their student credit card. Mine has a limit of £500 and a direct debit attached to it from my current account that pays it off in full every month. They can text you when you get close to the limit so you don't go over, and remind you when it needs to be paid off.

ReputationRep:
    So as long as you pay back whatever you spend on the credit card before the end of the month you don't get any charges? I'd be paying back just the £120 I spent?

ReputationRep:
    i have one of these and its my downfall. Since i cant pay off the whole amount, i keep making the minimum payments....yet the balance due keeps going up

ReputationRep:
    Be careful though, I had a direct debit attached to my current account as well which I had no idea about as statements were sent to my home address...mother didn't bother opening them etc. I was happy enough going in to the branch every month paying off the full amount/more than the minimum payment at least. Just found out that they were charging my current account for the minimum DESPITE me paying off money on my credit card every month. Thus, a hell of a lot of charges

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid doing so, especially for something as frivilous as Christmas shopping.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.