Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend won't say he loves me Watch

I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now. He's really caring and lovely, we get along fabulously, but he won't say he loves me. He says he likes me all the time, and says nice things to me, which was fine for a while, but now it doesn't feel like enough to me. It's really frustrating when we're together, because I really want to express my feelings to him in a stronger way, but I don't want to say I love him first, because then I feel like he'll say it just to reciprocate. We really want to have sex for the first time soon, but although I strongly want to, I don't want to do this until he loves me. But I don't want to break it off, obviously. And as soon as I bring it up, it defeats the object, since I want it to come from him. What do I do? How can I explain my inexplicable refusal to have sex with him, since I so obviously want to?

ReputationRep:
    love's overrated, shag him already.

ReputationRep:
    Girls always run when Boys say it first :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now. He's really caring and lovely, we get along fabulously, but he won't say he loves me. He says he likes me all the time, and says nice things to me, which was fine for a while, but now it doesn't feel like enough to me. It's really frustrating when we're together, because I really want to express my feelings to him in a stronger way, but I don't want to say I love him first, because then I feel like he'll say it just to reciprocate. We really want to have sex for the first time soon, but although I strongly want to, I don't want to do this until he loves me. But I don't want to break it off, obviously. And as soon as I bring it up, it defeats the object, since I want it to come from him. What do I do? How can I explain my inexplicable refusal to have sex with him, since I so obviously want to?
    He may be feeling the exact same as you - he's waiting for you to say it first. Don't know where this idea that 'men should initiate everything in a relationship' comes from, but you should tell him about how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    You can't criticise him for not going first when you're not willing to go first either - he may be thinking the exact same thing as you!

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him that you won't have sex with him until you know he loves you. He will be say it 100 times a minute. Everyone's happy.

You're welcome
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    youre not gonna like my response to this, but the second me and my boyfriend broke up is when he first told me he loved me (we are back together now but i really wouldnt bank on that as a viable option, it was a long painful process)... whatever you do dont shag him in the hopes that thatll make him say the L word cos youll just end up getting hurt!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he doesnt love you....

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered the possibility that he wants you to say it first or is scared to say it and then you dont say it back? Talk to him about it because if you are both too scared to say it and you are getting upset over it then it will need sorted before it becomes an argument. Also, are you certain that he actually does love you? Not to be mean but you can force someone to say it...

ReputationRep:
    silly woman! he could be thinking the same thing, either that or he doesnt love you and is just waiting for the sex, infact hes probably thinking about sex every 7 seconds!

(Original post by Ruthi-SH)
    Have you considered the possibility that he wants you to say it first or is scared to say it and then you dont say it back? Talk to him about it because if you are both too scared to say it and you are getting upset over it then it will need sorted before it becomes an argument. Also, are you certain that he actually does love you? Not to be mean but you can force someone to say it...
    Exactly, this is kind of the issue: I don't want to force him, but not having love in our relationship is frustrating me so much, and I don't know how to deal with this.

ReputationRep:
    He says he likes me all the time, and says nice things to me, which was fine for a while, but now it doesn't feel like enough to me.
    Maybe he feels that if he says he loves you, after a while that won't be enough for you, then you'll be expecting weddings and little babies?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, this is kind of the issue: I don't want to force him, but not having love in our relationship is frustrating me so much, and I don't know how to deal with this.
    you dont need to prove you have love in a relationship yet, you are young and its only been one year and stopt hinking about yourself, consider his feelings as well. You dont need someone to say I love you to know that you are in love with one another, you should know it by the way you feel together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    Maybe he doesnt love you....
    This. And stop whining, Christ, you must be what, 16/17? Why the **** should he have to say that he 'loves' you just to get some?

get over yourself

are you that in love with yourself that you want to hear your boyfriend say he loves you too?

jheeze

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      get over yourself

are you that in love with yourself that you want to hear your boyfriend say he loves you too?

jheeze
      Has OP hit a nerve? :sly:

How old are you guys anyway? :moon:

ReputationRep:
      I said "I love you" only once to my girlfriend, I never said it for a long time because I didn't want "I love you" to lose its meaning, its strength. As in todays world we all say, " I LOVE YOU MAN", "I LOVE THIS MOVIE" and its not the same as before.

Main point...she kinda left me because I'm an emotional retard. Just say it when you mean it, even if it blurts out and she says, "What?"- don't say "I take back"....it kinda goes down hill.

ReputationRep:
      Actually everyone's lying. He won't say he loves you because he doesn't love you. End of story.

ReputationRep:
      you want to have sex with him then have sex with him.

Maybe he doesnt love you,

maybe he doesnt feel he should have to say a certain word to you just so that you will put out

ReputationRep:
      I don't want to say I love him first
      stop bawling then

How can I explain my inexplicable refusal to have sex with him, since I so obviously want to?
      What are you? 12 years old?

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.