Turn on thread page Beta

Self Harming watch

Announcements
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I haven't slef harmed for over a year, but I don't feel as over it as I should be

ReputationRep:
    how does that work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    I scratch when I'm anxious - i can curb it when awake, but since i have bad dreams sometimes, I can really lay into myself- like my head and elbow joints..(!)
    My friend used to do that really really badly especially if he'd been drinking the night before

ReputationRep:
    I dislocate my fingers sometimes and then force them back into place, which is incredibly painful. I do it when I feel bad about something, or if I get a bad test score or something like that. Very odd of me I know.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought that i self harmed as a child until i remembered that whenever i did something wrong when i was little i.e. 5/6 i would hit myself or bang my head very hard on a brick wall. Quite scary to think that i was doing it even then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spicu)
    im sorry but how can cutting your self be addictive and fun to do? I just dont see the excitement in torturing myself...

some of my old freinds used to do it...can anyone shed some light over this issue?
    The cutting itself has a change on the chemical make up on the brain and results in higher levels of endorphins. They are a feel good chemical which can be released by eating chocolate or exercising.
    Cutting usually had a higher level of them and so chocolate or exercise woudln't be enough to get the same feeling. Often when you accidently hurt yourself quite badly you don't feel it until a bit afterwards.. I found it similar with cutting. I always had a cutting hangover where the cuts would start hurting the next day. I struggled to get the same release as the time before and so went deeper and bigger to try to get it...therefore addiction.

It's a bit like piercings as well. They have a similar feeling. (But are entirely different)

ReputationRep:
    this whole topic makes me feel funny inside.

ReputationRep:
    im with you everdawn cept i dont have any confidence in my looks so i dont see that self harm would help with that. if i could figure a place that no one would ever ever see then maybe i'd be tempted came pretty close the other night but im scared of being addicted to it. over analyse things far too much...used to kickbox enjoyed kicking the shi t out of the padded things can't now cuz i hurt my back...grrr

ReputationRep:
    i feel so strange readin threads like this, coz i normally do it when i feel down. It makes me relive all the moments i had when i was down. I don't think I'm ****ed up I've done it for about a year and I know most ofyou have stopped and are talkin from past experiences I thought I did it because of who I was trying to be and I'm not trying to be that person anymore because I don't have the same friends as what I used to - but I still self harm. It's not something which I want to do, it's just something what I feel I had to do. I used to be really scared what my friends would say and when I told my best mate, I found out that she was bulemic and had been for quite sometime and when I thought about it I realised I was to, so together we stopped. Except when I met someone new I couldn't control my feelings therefore I started again. I've started SH less now but when things get out of control in my life I resort to it because I know it is the one thing I can control

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cnuhndledeath)
    i feel so strange readin threads like this, coz i normally do it when i feel down. It makes me relive all the moments i had when i was down. I don't think I'm ****ed up I've done it for about a year and I know most ofyou have stopped and are talkin from past experiences I thought I did it because of who I was trying to be and I'm not trying to be that person anymore because I don't have the same friends as what I used to - but I still self harm. It's not something which I want to do, it's just something what I feel I had to do. I used to be really scared what my friends would say and when I told my best mate, I found out that she was bulemic and had been for quite sometime and when I thought about it I realised I was to, so together we stopped. Except when I met someone new I couldn't control my feelings therefore I started again. I've started SH less now but when things get out of control in my life I resort to it because I know it is the one thing I can control
    it may be that you find reading about it triggering.

i do sometimes when i'm already down

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.