This discussion is closed.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone who even considers self-harm once, or tries it has issues.

I can't say I know the feeling from experience, but I know a number of people who do self-harm on a regular basis. If you do, the best thing to do is visit a shrink, or your doctor ASAP. I guess some of you are going to say that its not that easy to confront etc, but how you can possibly find solace in self-harm from emotional self-loathing is illogical.

Is it really worth taking the risk, when one self-harm session could lead you to death? I don't think so. And if you are suicidal, then a doctor/shrink is even more appropriate.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by phreek)
Anyone ever done it?

I went thru a phase of cutting myself. Now i just punch stuff all the time.
Im not ashamed to admit that I am a vain creature, and self harm would damage me, so ive never done it.
Cirsium
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think we all accept that we have issues. But plz for the love of God don't start telling us to go to doctors and/or shrinks. George killed herself after confidentiality was broken and they called her parents. Some of my other friends have been trying to talk to people for years and you know what half the time it doesn't even work. My psycho lady's response was "you obviously have some problems but are a generally happy person. Go away". Unless you've been there you can't understand what drives us to it and you don't understand the addiction cycle behind it. While i'm sure you mean well plz don't tell us about something on which you clearly have no knowledge.
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Two days ago we were in the library in our "spare room" for our spare lessons and there was some girl in Grade 9 who came in drunk with a knife, sat in the corner of the library and began cutting herself, she had some major **** going on in her life and it just sent her over the edge. Quite confronting really. The cops and ambos came and took her to hospital and put her in the mental home so we heard today.
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone ever done it?
No, not me. Look, if you've got issues, then I highly recommend you perhaps see the school councellor/uni councellor, they're really nice human beings willing to help people like yourself who have issues

On a more serious note, even I once went to a councellor...

but that was all part of a 'Prepare for Exams!' seminar run by my university
Luize
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If you do go to a doctor they won't really do anything about it. There are huge NHS waiting lists and even then if you do get counsiling they often just give you s/h support numbers and groups near you and tell you to use the resources availble to you.

Unless there is something that they see as needing to be sorted out they will discharge you.
Alice2411
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone ever done it?

I went thru a phase of cutting myself. Now i just punch stuff all the time.
yeah i did, it lasted about 3 years but i gues i just got happier so i stopped. If u wana take out ur anger some how try throwing stuff thats wat i do!! lol just dont punch anythignt oo hard, i knwot hats proberly wat u wana to do because (well for me this is why i did() u want to cause ur self physical pain because of the way u feel inside and u need to experience this on the outside as wel, but try to vent ur anger out on soft things. try biting down on something hard?
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
I'm saying it as someone who's been through it as well, and someone who's known other people who's been through it, but never anything like 4 years. But if you think I'm ****ed up for that, so be it.
Try 6 years.
immortal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It gets addictive, really addictive!
Thats because the dopamine released to stop the pain of the blood loss gives you a natural high.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mmmmm plus it's really habit forming:

like how some people can't give up smoking: but not just cos of the nicotine, also because they get into the habit of having a fag. Every time i gave up or changed direction i found that i was fine after a couple of weeks, but if i started again and did it just the once then the next day something small would set me off and i'd be crazy to do it more.

Random other q: did any1 else feel really really weird reading this? Cos i read thru this morning, but jus pages 1 and 3. Posted, went back, read page 2 about how ppl feel and starting feeling really dizzy + sick like i do @ the worst point of cold turkey had to fone tom to reassure me that the world was still ok
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Random other question: did anybody else feel really really weird reading this?
I felt something, definitely. But I stopped 5 years ago, it's totally behind me. It didn't make me want to start again or anything like that at all.
LS.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't really feel weird. It's comforting to know that people don't all have the stereotypical view to self-harmers. Also good to see that people do manage to stop, it's given some hope for myself.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not like it made me want to start... it takes something big to tip me over the threshhold. But when i was at the worst part of trying to give up and i could feel something tipping the balance i used to get really dizzy and sick like i could see it coming and nothing to stop it. The same feeling, but i knew i didn't want to, which i guess means that i am better than i was. I just felt really weird and shaken up and needed sum1 to make me feel normal again.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Not like it made me want to start... it takes something big to tip me over the threshhold. But when i was at the worst part of trying to give up and i could feel something tipping the balance i used to get really dizzy and sick like i could see it coming and nothing to stop it. The same feeling, but i knew i didn't want to, which i guess means that i am better than i was. I just felt really weird and shaken up and needed sum1 to make me feel normal again.
I sometimes feel like that when I read certain things! I thought it was just me.
shootingstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I self harm, but not in a typical way as such. I've never cut or burnt myself. Instead, I pull out hair or scratch my forearms until they're sore. I'm on the road to recovery, with the latter form dying down a lot, but the hair pulling is ocd related so really difficult to stop. My boyfriends also an ex self harmer. My mum unfortuynately was not too understanding for what I went through, and made constant threats and told me how I was a disgrace. Its funny how people react to what they don't understand.

For anyone that does still self harm, try this site. www.recoveryourlife.com
I'm on there as ~phoenix~ if anyone ever wants to talk. This site is a major help.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Swing)
I felt something, definitely. But I stopped 5 years ago, it's totally behind me. It didn't make me want to start again or anything like that at all.
wow - that would have made you 11/12 when you stopped then? You were self harming from the age of 6? :eek:
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
wow - that would have made you 11/12 when you stopped then? You were self harming from the age of 6? :eek:
5-11, indeed. I did it before it was popular, you could say. Not meaning to disrespect anybody who still does it/did it recently, but it's too common these days.
erk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just out of interest, for the people who cut, how did youstart? i dont mean 'with a mach 3 razor blade on a sunday afternoon', i mean, how, why, did you think of cutting?
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Darn it now I have to! If i dont reply again its cos i cant see the keyboard.
Lol that made me giggle :-)
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can't make any kind of judgement on the issue as i have never done it and hopefully never will. I just want to know what is so bad in your lives that makes you want to hurt yourself like that? I just really don't understand it at all. It must be so awful for you to be so depressed you have to do something as extreme as hurting yourselves. Have you all seeked professional help?
It's quite scary to see the number of people who do it, and you must all be quite successful if you are students, so there must be other people who are less successful that do it aswell and so there must be so many people who do it. It really is quite upsetting. :-(
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads