This discussion is closed.
shootingstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Unfortunatley, Lynsey, a lot of people I know have recieved extremely negative reactions from doctors when trying to recieve help. I was one of these people. The doctor tried telling me it was just a phase and tried telling my mum my hair pulling could be stopped as easily as biting your nails. Just took a lot of will power. Its not the case. I have most of the symptons of a clinical depressive and am an ocd sufferer. However, the government are trying to research into self harming a lot, to hopefully make things better. People won't go for help until they feel ready, and until they feel that they won't be judged. I know one woman, who's 50, stopped self harming earlier this year, but started age 9. She's never been for help... sad, but true.
shootingstar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nofx)
what abot taking it 1 step further?has anyone ever been driven into attempting to commit suicide?
I've contemplated suicide, but my boyfriend, who I was friends with before from RYL has always been around to try talk sense into me. I've also got two extremely good friends, that between them have attempted suicide in excess of 20 times. Throught the past 6 weeks, I've been the one they've called first, either after an OD, or just when they're considering it.
Cirsium
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As somebody pointed out a few posts back self harming doesn't always mean cutting yourself. I first started out ODing (just like you can cut yourself without wanting to slit your wrists and die, some people OD for the thrill of it not to kill themselves). It wasn't that much of a big thing for me then - felt weird but it was just something i got into Then i really scared myself one night when i took about 16 paracetamol - not nearly enough to kill me but enough to make me realise that i wasn't in control.
I went through a phase of two-fingers-down-the-throat and it was only after those 2 cumulatively went on for about a year that i resorted to knives. After the first time i thought about using a knife it was only a matter of time before i did. It's just that dizzy sick hopeless feeling and nothing will shift it except for pain. There have been other reasons... bullying... feeling as though nobody cares... being out of my depth... often enough fights with my mum. But i really don't know what started it.

Yes i have contemplated suicide and i came very very very close one time. (Altho NB it was right after i started some new medication - and as soon as i came off i was fine again) That was when i tried to get help - as my bf (who is 15000 times more screwed up than i'll ever be) said that he cudn't stay with sum1 who wudnt help herself - so it was 'phone the doctor then and there or he'd leave.
If it wasn't for him i might not still be here. I don't really think that i wanted to die - i just wanted the world to shut up for a minute. But i was out of control. Had he not put his arm around my neck to stop me from swallowing i don't know what would have happened.

And now i feel dizzy and sick again. I should just stop trying to explain shouldn't i?
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Swing)
Not meaning to disrespect anybody who still does it/did it recently, but it's too common these days.
What? :mad:
Not meaning to disrespect people who do/did it?
What are you talking about? Your point is an important one though, it is becoming far too common, in the fact that so many people are using self harm as their coping mechanism.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
As somebody pointed out a few posts back self harming doesn't always mean cutting yourself. I first started out ODing (just like you can cut yourself without wanting to slit your wrists and die, some people OD for the thrill of it not to kill themselves). It wasn't that much of a big thing for me then - felt weird but it was just something i got into Then i really scared myself one night when i took about 16 paracetamol - not nearly enough to kill me but enough to make me realise that i wasn't in control.
I went through a phase of two-fingers-down-the-throat and it was only after those 2 cumulatively went on for about a year that i resorted to knives. After the first time i thought about using a knife it was only a matter of time before i did. It's just that dizzy sick hopeless feeling and nothing will shift it except for pain. There have been other reasons... bullying... feeling as though nobody cares... being out of my depth... often enough fights with my mum. But i really don't know what started it.

Yes i have contemplated suicide and i came very very very close one time. (Altho NB it was right after i started some new medication - and as soon as i came off i was fine again) That was when i tried to get help - as my bf (who is 15000 times more screwed up than i'll ever be) said that he cudn't stay with sum1 who wudnt help herself - so it was 'phone the doctor then and there or he'd leave.
If it wasn't for him i might not still be here. I don't really think that i wanted to die - i just wanted the world to shut up for a minute. But i was out of control. Had he not put his arm around my neck to stop me from swallowing i don't know what would have happened.

And now i feel dizzy and sick again. I should just stop trying to explain shouldn't i?
Thats seriously fcuked up.
Cirsium
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
What? :mad:
Not meaning to disrespect people who do/did it?
What are you talking about? Your point is an important one though, it is becoming far too common, in the fact that so many people are using self harm as their coping mechanism.
I think you may have misinterpreted what he said - i think he just seriously means that ppl start for too little... i kinda know what he means: i hate the fact that so many more ppl do it now

And to Mad Caddie:
I'm sorry you think that i'm f*cked up. *shrugs* Maybe you're right: but I'm getting myself out of this hole it's just taking a while... and i'm just being honest.
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
I think you may have misinterpreted what he said - i think he just seriously means that ppl start for too little... i kinda know what he means: i hate the fact that so many more ppl do it now

And to Mad Caddie:
I'm sorry you think that i'm f*cked up. *shrugs* Maybe you're right: but I'm getting myself out of this hole it's just taking a while... and i'm just being honest.
I say good for you. Seriously, it takes a lot more willpower than anyone who doesnt do it can realise.

We dont do it because we are mad, we do it cos we are depressed, depression is an illness, just like flu or anything else.

I am not ashamed to show the scars on my arm, I think of them as a way of showing the world exactly how much stronger than the average person I am for having survived and stopped self harming.
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I used to self harm,I didnt burn, cut or do anything like that. I was bulimic. It is pretty common in my year-if you can beat a girl academically,on the pitch, in the concert hall ,anywhere infact you might aswell try and beat her by being thinner than her.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
To the people who have scars, does anyone ever ask you about them?
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
To the people who have scars, does anyone ever ask you about them?
All the time, I like it when people do.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SciFi25)
All the time, I like it when people do.
As do I except when it is a member of my family.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
As do I except when it is a member of my family.
How come you like people asking about your scars but not your family?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
How come you like people asking about your scars but not your family?
Well when I say I like people asking i've only ever actaully told two people. No-one in my family ever knew when I was self harming and I'd like to keep it that way.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Well when I say I like people asking i've only ever actaully told two people. No-one in my family ever knew when I was self harming and I'd like to keep it that way.
How come?
auser
Report 15 years ago
i havent cut myself for years, since i was about 15 really, now im nearly 19 and the scars are still really prominent and people ask about them all the time, i really hate having to bull**** a story up, because its so obvious i am lying and you can see what theyre thinking by the expression on their face. i really wish they were gone they're not something i want to be remindedof every day
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
How come?
I'd only ever tell people I trust completely, or people I don't know at all like on here. The one time my mum nearly noticed really scared me and I'd hate her or anyone else in my family to know about it.
auser
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I'd only ever tell people I trust completely, or people I don't know at all like on here. The one time my mum nearly noticed really scared me and I'd hate her or anyone else in my family to know about it.
exactly you see it hit her and you freak out because you know any second she's going to ask you a very direct question
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by auser)
exactly you see it hit her and you freak out because you know any second she's going to ask you a very direct question
But then again i'm not scared of showing my arm by wearing a tshirt or something, i'm not sure how noticable my scars are to someone who just looks at me but that doesn't bother me at all.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The hospitol told muy mum that i had been picking at my skin on my hands due to anxiety and that i had been scratching my arms so badly that they were raw-she always thought i had excema. Now she knows and that i am better its great. I dont have to lie and we can look at it retrospectively.
I only tell people i've known for years about it all though.
auser
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
But then again i'm not scared of showing my arm by wearing a tshirt or something, i'm not sure how noticable my scars are to someone who just looks at me but that doesn't bother me at all.
i cross my arms or twist the left one sideways to make them less visible if i don't have sleeves
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (475)
66.62%
No (238)
33.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed