It gets addictive, really addictive!

:eek:
doesnt it hurt?
Mad Caddie
Thats seriously fcuked up.

No faeces, Sherlock!

Originally Posted by ace_justncase
Never come near me!!!

That's some ego you have there. Whatever makes you think any of these people would want to come within a million miles of you.

Oh, and genius, some of the participants in this thread are suffering from SELF-harm. i.e: They harm THEMSELVES, not others.

(Jesus, Mary and Joseph, how do some poeple manage to get out of bed in the morning.)

PublicSchoolAnn
I used to self harm,I didnt burn, cut or do anything like that. I was bulimic. It is pretty common in my year-if you can beat a girl academically,on the pitch, in the concert hall ,anywhere infact you might aswell try and beat her by being thinner than her.

I can identify with this. Added to that a whole bunch of Catholic Guilt and you have a perfect recipe for the walking stereotype puging ana that I was (and often still am).
im hungry
magiccarpet
:eek:
doesnt it hurt?

I believe that is partly the point. (no pun intended)
I'm sure that it has been covered before. But why? I can somewhat understand it as occasionally when I get angry I feel like breaking something, but my self restraint usually holds me back. Occasionally I have punched a wall or kicked something but mostly I feel like breaking an object as opposed to hurting myself. Is it just an extension of this feeling or something else? I am geniunely interested to understand, you never know when it might be helpful, especially as a prospective doctor.
Reply 165
phreek
Anyone ever done it?

I went thru a phase of cutting myself. Now i just punch stuff all the time.

nah, its easier to harm other people.
Reply 166
Golden Maverick
I'm sure that it has been covered before. But why? I can somewhat understand it as occasionally when I get angry I feel like breaking something, but my self restraint usually holds me back. Occasionally I have punched a wall or kicked something but mostly I feel like breaking an object as opposed to hurting myself. Is it just an extension of this feeling or something else? I am geniunely interested to understand, you never know when it might be helpful, especially as a prospective doctor.

Why? Thats a good question. Everyone does it for different reasons, but usually for me it is to do with the fact that I cant cope with the emotional pain that i am in at the time. I us S/H to try to externalise the internal pain, i.e. turn the pain i cant cope with into a different type of pain i can cope with.
I do use it as a last resort, when things just get on top of me so badly that I just cannot think. It does help, that is why as well as it being addictive that people keep doing it.
Im actually quite surprised at the number of people on here who do self harm, its kind of scary.
Reply 168
SciFi25
Why? Thats a good question. Everyone does it for different reasons, but usually for me it is to do with the fact that I cant cope with the emotional pain that i am in at the time. I us S/H to try to externalise the internal pain, i.e. turn the pain i cant cope with into a different type of pain i can cope with.
I do use it as a last resort, when things just get on top of me so badly that I just cannot think. It does help, that is why as well as it being addictive that people keep doing it.

I think i used to do it for exactly the same reasons. Luckily i don't feel the need to do it anymore.

Reply 169
these_apples
Im actually quite surprised at the number of people on here who do self harm, its kind of scary.

There are a smaller proportion compared to the number out in the 'real world' that do it. Trust me it is way more common than the NHS will let on. It is a hidden illness.
SciFi25

Does it work - the externalising of your pain? Also how temporary is it? Emotional turmoil is an ongoing thing so do you continue to SH until the pain is stopped? Does that mean it is more to to with pain than anger for you?
SciFi25
There are a smaller proportion compared to the number out in the 'real world' that do it. Trust me it is way more common than the NHS will let on. It is a hidden illness.

Does that mean there is a link between the people who self harm and those that are on the internet alot?
Reply 172
Golden Maverick
Does it work - the externalising of your pain? Also how temporary is it? Emotional turmoil is an ongoing thing so do you continue to SH until the pain is stopped? Does that mean it is more to to with pain than anger for you?

Yeah it does work, it meant when i did it that i could get too sleep and function like a normal human being. You do continue S/H until the pain goes away, so the longest 'session' of S/H every day I had was about two years. For me it is mostly to rid myself of pain, but in order for me to cut myself i have to get angry.
Reply 173
these_apples
Does that mean there is a link between the people who self harm and those that are on the internet alot?

Not really. Just most people do not admit to it as it is such a huge taboo in our society. I like shocking people so i wear really short T-shirts to shock people and when they ask about the scars i tell them that I used to slice myself. Its one way to make people aware that it happens.
SciFi25
Yeah it does work, it meant when i did it that i could get too sleep and function like a normal human being. You do continue S/H until the pain goes away, so the longest 'session' of S/H every day I had was about two years. For me it is mostly to rid myself of pain, but in order for me to cut myself i have to get angry.

That suggests it is not similar to my anger leading to damaging things.
Also did you "cut" in places that hurt but did not leave visible marks? If so, why? Were you in some way ashamed of it or just afraid that others would find out?
SciFi25
Not really. Just most people do not admit to it as it is such a huge taboo in our society. I like shocking people so i wear really short T-shirts to shock people and when they ask about the scars i tell them that I used to slice myself. Its one way to make people aware that it happens.

Its one way to break the ice, there was this woman on the train who had hundreds of scars all over her arms....but what was worse was that some of her arm was bandaged and you could see the blood through it. it was really uncomfortable for everyone.
Reply 176
Golden Maverick
That suggests it is not similar to my anger leading to damaging things.
Also did you "cut" in places that hurt but did not leave visible marks? If so, why? Were you in some way ashamed of it or just afraid that others would find out?

No i cut in a place that hurt the most and could kill me, my arms. I made sure that they left scars and that i could pick at them the next day for a little mini relief. I was ashamed of the scabs but now all my mates know i just dont care who see's them.
SciFi25
No i cut in a place that hurt the most and could kill me, my arms. I made sure that they left scars and that i could pick at them the next day for a little mini relief. I was ashamed of the scabs but now all my mates know i just dont care who see's them.

Did the scars and scabs not raise suspicions and lead into uncomfortable situations? Did the fact that you could have killed yourself make it more effective at relieving pain? Were you not afraid of killing yourself?
If you don't want to answer any of the questions please don't, I am just interested and you are the first person I have talked to that is open about SH.
Reply 178
Golden Maverick
Did the scars and scabs not raise suspicions and lead into uncomfortable situations? Did the fact that you could have killed yourself make it more effective at relieving pain? Were you not afraid of killing yourself?
If you don't want to answer any of the questions please don't, I am just interested and you are the first person I have talked to that is open about SH.

I am very open about it, I will answer everything, dont worry!!

I wore long sleeves all the time when I did it and was hiding the fact i did it. Which was easy as I was in a suit at school and did not do any sport. The only way my mate found out was when he saw blood pouring down my arm and bloody stripes on my white shirt.
The fact i could have died did make it more satisfying, which is why after a while of experimenting (I ran out of space on my arms) on my legs i moved back and cut deeper but fewer times.
SciFi25
I am very open about it, I will answer everything, dont worry!!

I wore long sleeves all the time when I did it and was hiding the fact i did it. Which was easy as I was in a suit at school and did not do any sport. The only way my mate found out was when he saw blood pouring down my arm and bloody stripes on my white shirt.
The fact i could have died did make it more satisfying, which is why after a while of experimenting (I ran out of space on my arms) on my legs i moved back and cut deeper but fewer times.

Why did you eventually stop? And if you had emotional troubles in the future would you start again?
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending