Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll try to skip all insignificant details and make this as short as possible.
    EDIT: Ok it's not going to be short, sorry :ashamed:

- There's this boy who i have never met, however we've known each other since we were young as we stumbled across each other on a website.

- Found out he used to live in the same town as me, and moved when he was about 10. Had the same kind of childhood, in fact. I've even seen some of his family members around here. He's come back to visit family here throughout the roughly 7 years we've known each other, but our plans of meeting up never succeeded. I know i was always too nervous he'd not like me in person.

- Throughout the years, we got talking more and more, and long story short we pretty much became "best friends." We were constantly talking to each other, texting, up until the early hours of the morning speaking and laughing at the smallest things lol. This really did go on for a few years.

- We were so close that we spoke about personal things and were always there for each other. That sounds corny, but i don't know anyone else who could tell i wasn't alright and who'd text me trying to make me smile until i was. I gave him loads of girlfriend advice over the years, but i never spoke about boys to him. It just felt kind of uncomfortable because i think i liked him, but didn't want to say anything because we've never met (!) so how can i know at all what it'd be like in person? He had one long term girlfriend who'd constantly argue with him because she thought we were too close. They broke up, he became even closer to me as i tried to help him get over her.

- Anyway, eventually my first relationship came along and i neglected to tell him. The relationship started off as me trying to be there for this depressed guy, who i felt needed me there because it seemed he didn't have anyone else :/ no one asked anyone out, he just kind of became posessive of me and i, like a naive 15 year old fool, went along with it.

- My friend one day told me that he liked me. Not just that he liked me, but that it's "not just a crush... i can imagine being with you" and he said he'd thought about it a lot. It took a lot for him to tell me, and because i cared for him soo much as a friend i didn't want to hurt him. I told him i liked him too, but it eventually came out that i have this "boyfriend" (we weren't officially together or anything like that which made it all the more complicated!) I guess that's the worst part, because i hadn't told him about my boyfriend, and he thought we told each other practically everything.

- We didn't really speak normally again after that, despite my numerous apologies, but bless his sweet heart, he remained friends with me. Obviously i really missed his friendship but i couldn't really say anything about it because it was pretty much my fault. I still feel like i owe him big time. I kept TRYING to make things go back to the way they were before but it never worked. A couple of years went on, and i broke up with my boyfriend. Still, i'd text my friend and he'd always stop replying after a few texts. He'd changed into this party animal type guy who was out pretty much constantly, which was NOTHING like him before.

- Recently, out of the blue, he's started texting me again. He revealed non chalantly that he'd recently broken up with this girl he was "casually seeing." He keeps texts going for days, and seems more willing to talk about long, personal things. I feel like he's still the same guy i used to know before, now. He mentioned (for the first time in years!) that he's coming over here for Xmas and i said i'd go meet him this time. Maybe he's nervous? I know i am.

- To the point, recently he's gone quiet again. Not to suggest he's hiding anything, but i just don't know how he feels. I find myself thinking about us a lot, which is annoying because i'm pretty sure he's over those feelings now. He's just pretty much perfect for me. We share the same values, we have the same kinds of personalities, he's sensitive, intelligent, caring, a genuinely good hearted person. I think quite highly of him which is strange, because i haven't really had that much respect for a guy before. I guess it all depends on what it's like when i see him, although if he's nervous he might make up an excuse so i don't come. I realllly can't imagine what he's thinking. The likelihood is that i'm just obsessing over him for no reason now and he's not even thinking about me in that way at all. Argh. I don't know how i can be so infatuated with someone i've never met.

Any advice, pleaseee?

ReputationRep:
    Advice: Take out 99% of the irrelevant stuff in this thread. Then re-post..

ReputationRep:
    Feelings can be deceitful. You may think that you are perfect for each other and that you know him very well, however you haven't met yet! You might not have the chemistry or spark that you need, or he may be hiding stuff from you and exaggerating the good points. Also, you shouldn't feel guilty about having a bf and not telling him, it wasn't like this friend was single at the time anyway!

ReputationRep:
    You aren't anonymous!.

I would honestly focus on other things until I met him if I were you. Don't spend a lot of time and energy thinking about him when it might not even work out how you want. You could end up disappointed and wishing that you hadn't stressed so much.

I am a bit sceptical of him because you mentioned that he has cancelled meeting you before and it now looks like he is about to again. Either he has something to hide, is very nervous, or isn't that interested.

Good luck

(Original post by Misnomer)
    You aren't anonymous!.

I would honestly focus on other things until I met him if I were you. Don't spend a lot of time and energy thinking about him when it might not even work out how you want. You could end up disappointed and wishing that you hadn't stressed so much.

I am a bit sceptical of him because you mentioned that he has cancelled meeting you before and it now looks like he is about to again. Either he has something to hide, is very nervous, or isn't that interested.

Good luck
    LOL, fail! I deleted the post haha.
    You're right, 100%. I know the likelihood is i'll probably end up dissapointed. Hopefully i can take your advice and think about something else thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

If he cancels on you this time don't bother with him

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.