Why does the site die at exactly midnight every night? Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    :tumble:

ReputationRep:
    Probably a server site database reset that is happing at that time....a rough guess.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    J/w.
    Hello

Can you try to describe in more detail what you're experiencing at midnight - what happens from your point of view?

ReputationRep:
    Cron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Hello

Can you try to describe in more detail what you're experiencing at midnight - what happens from your point of view?
    Maintenance guy shows up, basically. Because it's literally happening every night at midnight (like the site going down at 1:40am every night before the 3.8 upgrade) I'm with Vlad in thinking it's a cron thing that's taking its sweet time and literally killing the site for a good few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's cron too

ReputationRep:
    It's been on and off since midnight for me.

It's really beginning to get irritating now :rant:

This happened in between 1.03 and 1.11 am today. Gossamerthreads seems to online everytime this happens, maybe they were upgrading/fixing something? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      no idea as I just joined the site half an hour ago... and wtf is cron?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by G8D)
      I know what cron is.

:dontknow:
      Cron's a scheduler daemon. It runs pre-programmed tasks at specific times.

ReputationRep:
      Could possibly be a database back up causing this problem, i have been on some other sites where this has been the case and the site has been offline for many hours
      • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dalimyr)
      Maintenance guy shows up, basically. Because it's literally happening every night at midnight (like the site going down at 1:40am every night before the 3.8 upgrade) I'm with Vlad in thinking it's a cron thing that's taking its sweet time and literally killing the site for a good few minutes.
      Thanks. Didn't know the maintenance guy was also showing up at this time.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.