Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm tired of my job as a Student Support Counsellor Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm working at a reputable university at the moment (within the top 10) as a Student Support Counsellor, and I'm finding it more hard work than I thought it would be. I'm tired to the back teeth however of seeing students come into my office and wimpering about being homesick and lonely. Although my masters is in Clinical Psychology, it doesn't take Bandura to know that most of them are saps who need a good dose of reality to pull themselves together. There was one girl crying in my office yesterday because she'd failed an essay after her boyfriend had dumped her for moving 300 miles away from home; that and she was homesick. I just said to her, 'well do you want to fail another one? Because if you do then you'll probably be kicked out and then where will you be? Yes you'll be with your boyfriend back at home with your mum, but you'll also be on the dole'. I believe that you have to be cruel to be kind.

I'm sick of dealing with homesickness now. They're going home for Christmas in a couple of weeks yet they still come to tell me they're missing home. I've started giving away Tic-Tacs pretending they're homesickness pills I'm so tired of it.

Then you've got the ones who come in crying that they've made no friends. Then when you're talking to them to help establish why, it just turns out that they spent Freshers Week sitting in their room eating cake and crying, so it's no bloody wonder they're on their own. It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I just needed to moan really. The sooner I move into academia the better.

ReputationRep:
    wow, dealing with TSR's health and relationship threads with the added "bonus" of having to listen to it rather than scan quickly and troll behind an avatar. that sounds like hell. what the helsinki were you thinking with that career?

ReputationRep:
    This made me laugh. + Rep.

ReputationRep:
    Moral of the story: Don't be a pussy. No one likes a victim.

Good luck getting out of there!! I have a housemate who cries all the time, I ask her why and she goes "Everything is just crap"
    "What's crap? What's the matter?"
    "I DUNNOOOOOOOOO I DONT EVEN KNOWWW"

Just gets infuriating after three months.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. If this isn't a troll, you are definitely in the wrong career...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garopa)
    I'm working at a reputable university at the moment (within the top 10) as a Student Support Counsellor, and I'm finding it more hard work than I thought it would be. I'm tired to the back teeth however of seeing students come into my office and wimpering about being homesick and lonely. Although my masters is in Clinical Psychology, it doesn't take Bandura to know that most of them are saps who need a good dose of reality to pull themselves together. There was one girl crying in my office yesterday because she'd failed an essay after her boyfriend had dumped her for moving 300 miles away from home; that and she was homesick. I just said to her, 'well do you want to fail another one? Because if you do then you'll probably be kicked out and then where will you be? Yes you'll be with your boyfriend back at home with your mum, but you'll also be on the dole'. I believe that you have to be cruel to be kind.

I'm sick of dealing with homesickness now. They're going home for Christmas in a couple of weeks yet they still come to tell me they're missing home. I've started giving away Tic-Tacs pretending they're homesickness pills I'm so tired of it.

Then you've got the ones who come in crying that they've made no friends. Then when you're talking to them to help establish why, it just turns out that they spent Freshers Week sitting in their room eating and crying, so it's no bloody wonder they're on their own. It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

Troll?

Sounds like you and the job don't go together well at all. What proportion of the people visiting fit the criteria you are talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Heh! If this is real, I do like the Tic-Tac idea very much so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garopa)

Then you've got the ones who come in crying that they've made no friends. Then when you're talking to them to help establish why, it just turns out that they spent Freshers Week sitting in their room eating cake and crying, so it's no bloody wonder they're on their own. It's like banging your head against a brick wall.

I call troll. And if you're not a troll you're an insensitive ***** who needs a new job because I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have to come and see you. There are other problems people suffer from at uni except homesickness. Get a grip :facepalm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.