Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please could someone help me with this email?

I applied to do English at Leeds but was rejected. They said they would consider me for other courses and gave me the email of the person in charge of Joint Honours admissions. I emailed them explaining the situation and asked to be considered for English and Linguistics.

Basically they said that they would only look at my application after the deadline because they were looking at direct applications first. They also made it sound unlikely I would get a place. The person also said:

'should you decide to pull your application in order to apply to another institution through UCAS, we would wish you all the best.'

Can someone tell me if this is right? I didn't think I could replace the institution considering I sent my application off ages ago (15th September).

My UCAS has not been updated to 'Unsuccessful' yet. Does this make a difference?

Would really appreciate some help! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    It's a test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra289)
    Please could someone help me with this email?

I applied to do English at Leeds but was rejected. They said they would consider me for other courses and gave me the email of the person in charge of Joint Honours admissions. I emailed them explaining the situation and asked to be considered for English and Linguistics.

Basically they said that they would only look at my application after the deadline because they were looking at direct applications first. They also made it sound unlikely I would get a place. The person also said:

'should you decide to pull your application in order to apply to another institution through UCAS, we would wish you all the best.'

Can someone tell me if this is right? I didn't think I could replace the institution considering I sent my application off ages ago (15th September).

My UCAS has not been updated to 'Unsuccessful' yet. Does this make a difference?

Would really appreciate some help! Thank you.
    Yeah, you can substitute your choice for another university/course if there hasn't been an official reply yet on UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    It's a test.
    That's a good point actually. OP, it could be a test to see how much you want to study at Leeds, despite the course not being your first choice. It's all to boost their ego!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Yeah, you can substitute your choice for another university/course if there hasn't been an official reply yet on UCAS
    But she applied on the 15th September, so she's several months over the 14 day deadline for making changes to her UCAS.

OP: I've never heard of anyone being able to do this, personally, but I would contact UCAS and ask them to confirm where you stand. The email, I would think, is probably an administrative mistake on Leeds' part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James9876)
    But she applied on the 15th September, so she's several months over the 14 day deadline for making changes to her UCAS.

OP: I've never heard of anyone being able to do this, personally, but I would contact UCAS and ask them to confirm where you stand. The email, I would think, is probably an administrative mistake on Leeds' part.
    Oh, I didn't realise there was a time llimit! OP, you're probably best doing what this person's suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James9876)

I thought it was probably a mistake but will check with UCAS. When I go onto UCAS track it won't let me substitute the choice.

Thank you very much for all the responses.

(Also, I don't think Leeds University are likely to 'test' me!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lil_maz)
    I did that last year.. I changed my mind after I had recieved my offers and that.. basically I had to phone up my insurance and firm choice uni's and get them to change them and let UCAS know.. was a bit of a hassle but it worked out in the end..

I don't know what the case is for you, since I'm guessing you don't have all your offers yet ? But I'm assuming its similar.

Good Luck .
    I have one offer, two unsuccessfuls (including Leeds which hasn't been confirmed on UCAS Track yet) and waiting for two unis to get back to me. I would be very happy if I could swap a choice! And thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They've said they'll only look at your application after the deadline. So they haven't looked at your application, and don't know you're over the 14 day limit for changing. It's not a test, it's just a nice thing to say. They have assumed that it hasn't taken you months to realise you've applied for the wrong course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    They've said they'll only look at your application after the deadline. So they haven't looked at your application, and don't know you're over the 14 day limit for changing. It's not a test, it's just a nice thing to say. They have assumed that it hasn't taken you months to realise you've applied for the wrong course.
    When I email I forwarded the conversation I had had with the English admissions tutor which explained that that application had been successful. They should know that I'm applying for that course because I'd been unsuccessful for Lit and Lang (and it's unlikely that all of that would have happened within 14 days). Do you think they just read the email wrong?

Thank you for the response!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.