Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ways to exercise without using legs Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm having an operation on my leg in a few days, and I won't be able to do anything which puts too much pressure on my knee and ankle joints for four months, so running/ cycling/cross-training etc are out in terms of cardio.
    I'll do stuff like sit ups and lifting (not much...I'm only small) but I reeeaaallly don't want to lose all my muscle tone and put on weight, can anyone suggest any exercises I can do so that when I'm fit again I'm not hopelessly out of condition?

ReputationRep:
    When i asked this at the gym, the trainer told me that i could basically use the hand cycling machine they have ,which is plain weird, or hit the weights, you an do a lot of weights using upper body without using your legs so go for that...

ReputationRep:
    There is this hand pulley type thing they have in some gyms. Dont know what its called so cant really show what it looks like

ReputationRep:
    There is some rope pulley thing too for cardio.

I suppose you could use various pulldown and seated press machines and what not as well

ReputationRep:
    I am a wheelchair user and although I can stand with support (I do use the rowing machine for some cardio exercise), a lot of my exercise is done from my chair.
    The Arm bike is great for cardio (obviously not as good for full body like running or rowing could be, but it still gets your heart pumping). I think not many gyms have them, but with ones like this you can change the resistance which is great.

Failing that I'm sure you could use some of the machines like shoulder press, seated row, pec deck etc... and use the pulley cables too.

ReputationRep:
    When I had my operation the doctor advised swimming with one of those floats between my legs and just using my upper body all the way down to my hips and that way my legs weren't put under any stress although my upper body had a very good work out and very good cardio session.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.