Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really need ideas for high-impact volunteering placements abroad, please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm sure this has already been covered here on some other thread but I just could not find the exact answers I needed so here goes;

I'm planning on taking a year out from studying medicine (i.e. btw 4th and 5th year). There are lots of reasons why I want to do this but that's not really relevant.

During this year out, I want to travel to a few places round the world and do some really high impact, grassroots volunteering. I really don't want to find myself somewhere for two months, not really doing anything that benefits anybody and watching the time slip by....I want to make a real impact, I want it to be quite intense and hardcore. I am happy to help in anyway I can as long as its not with animals.

Now the main problem is that I'm not quite sure how to go about this, I've spent copious amounts of time on the internet searching for placements but all I seem to be coming up with are organistions charging a LOT of money just so I can go somewhere and do very little or nothing important.

So my question is...does anyone have any advice on how to go about this, has anyone actually been able to do this sort of volunteering and how did you go about organising it? have you got any ideas where I could find this sort of high impact volunteering? better still, could you let me know about some of your experiences when you chose to go volunteering?

I know this is really long but I'm quite lost at the moment and any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Check out VSO they offer funded placements abroad - especially their GX and YfD programs for under 25s. They have a lot of health placements too.

ReputationRep:
    Check organisations listed here - http://www.oneworld365.org/category/volunteer there are lots from big sending agencies to small free opportunities!! Kinda depends where you want to go / what you want to do, maybe check the one world 365 country directory which lists volunteer organisations by country. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.