Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Like a guy who's 30, Watch

So I'm 17 and like guy who is 30. We get on really well and I like the fact that he's older and more mature. He's got his own place, speaks 3 languages and is just all round sexier than guys my age. But he's 13 years older than me. I would love to date him but what do you think, is 30 too old for a 17 yr old or is it fine?

ReputationRep:
    Your driving instructor? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Daddy issues much? :P Seriously though you say he is more mature, but guys that are that old and want to go out with a girl that isn't even legally an adult yet aren't mature. But it's up to you at the end of the day so, just be cautious. Make sure he isn't going to use you.

ReputationRep:
    There's 16 years between me and my boyfriend, and we're doing fine together - I say go for it, if you're really sure you like him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he'll be treating your relationship (if any will occur) seriously.

ReputationRep:
    That's nothing. I'm Darth Vader.

ReputationRep:
    A 30 year old guy dating a 17 year old girl** :lolwut: Is he that desperate?

*Girl being the key word here.

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think he likes you back??

There's 25 years between me and my partner and I've never been happier.
    Make sure you have a lot in common (finding each other attractive is not "a lot" - share some hobbies and interests!) and be prepared for it to tear you apart at times, he has got to be worth it to get into this. How would he cope if someone assumed you're his daughter?

From my experience, no matter how well he treats you, you will be looked at as a "victim" and people will assume he's an awful man for "preying" on a young girl. This has been going on for me and my partner for 5 years now - so far we've only found one solution - laugh! Be very silly and have a really good laugh if anyone says anything! So many people have tried to drive us apart with cruel words, but a good laugh brings us closer every time!

Honestly? I think it sounds like you've made up your mind and are either here to try to shock people or validate your decision - you've got one, here's the other! Think about it well, then go and be happy with this guy - best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    From experience I can say that if an older guy such as him has interest in girls your age, its not because youre 'just that special', its because he obviously has issues and cant get women is own age. Keep clear. It sounds like an exciting notion, but dont let him take advantage in any way.

ReputationRep:
    It's unusual. But, if he's not your teacher or anything, then it's pretty much legal for you to do whatever you want with him.

ReputationRep:
    More mature? Jesus Christ. What is he? ****ing Cheese!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Your driving instructor? :holmes:
    Depends what you mean by driving :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    If you'd at least been a student and not still in school...
    Even if it was a fact that you are incredibly mature for your age, how would it work out? If he is indeed a successful and intelligent 30 year old man, then that will reflect in his social circle (his mates will probably be either married or in long term relationships), and it is not likely that he will bring a 17 year old over for wine and cheese with the others. If we roughly divide 30 year old single men into two groups; those who are for some reason single and looking for commitment and those who want to stay bachelors for as long as possible. If he is the first, you will not fit his idea of "wife" anyway, you are too young to settle down and probably won't the next 5 years. If he is the second, he just wants a f-buddy.
    Obviously some have worked this out and live happily ever after, nothing is written in stone. Just think through it. It also depends on how experienced you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    A 30 year old guy dating a 17 year old girl** :lolwut: Is he that desperate?

*Girl being the key word here.
    Desperate? I'll be ****-a-hoop if I'm banging 17 year olds when I'm 30.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is, would he want to date you? More to the point, what on earth would a 30 year old get out of a relationship with a 17 year old, aside from the obvious? You're both at completely different stages in your lives. I doubt it could be anything more then a bit of casual sex.

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't go with someone that much older than me at the moment. Maybe if I was 30 and he was 43, but not 17 and 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm 17 and like guy who is 30. We get on really well and I like the fact that he's older and more mature. He's got his own place, speaks 3 languages and is just all round sexier than guys my age. But he's 13 years older than me. I would love to date him but what do you think, is 30 too old for a 17 yr old or is it fine?
    Young girls are attracted to older men because they have a lot of qualities that they find attractive such as confidence, stability, wealth, etc.

Many if not most older single men will do any seventeen year old girl as it’s a huge boost to their ego. Basically young girls will hang on to their every word because he has years of experience and he is flattered that someone is interested in anything he might have to say.

It will work out fine as long as you’re willing to arrest your personal growth and be daddy’s little girl until he passes.

You should consider raising you age limit to ~65 as there are several singles at that age. Many are financially secure for life and retired so they can spend all their time with you.

Plus a gentleman of 65 could be best buds with your grandfather and also be able to fill in as a father figure for your dad should his dad passes away.

An endless array of simply fascinating possibilities await you.

ReputationRep:
    That's not such a bad age gap compared to some. If you truly like him, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    There's 16 years between me and my boyfriend, and we're doing fine together - I say go for it, if you're really sure you like him.
    so.
    you're 4 and he's 20 I presume?

:holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.