Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've decided I'm going to get a net-book to supplement my desktop when I'm in university. I'm not technologically illiterate so don't advise me on anything else. I'm new to the net-book world so would like a point in the right direction, some models to look into or possibly some review sites.

I'll be using it to browse the net, use office, study on the train/at home/girlfriends, lecture notes and e-books. As well as having some music and ferrying files back and forth. I won't be going near games on it, apart from possibly trying (and failing) to play WoW on it or some other bog standard game like HoN. My desktop is for gaming and that's how it will stay.

With regards to models, this is what I'm after.
    • Portability - I'd say this is covered fairly well with it being a net-book
    • Battery life - At least four hours. I'd say this is fairly reasonable
    • Largish screen - I'm used to my monitor at home, I'm also going to be using it as an e-book reader with anatomy diagrams with semi-intricate details.
    • Nice keyboard - I'll be writing a lot on it during lectures, this is a must. Preferably a quiet one although I'm not sure how available this is.
    • Price - No more than £350

Any other questions to clarify ask, any help is also greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been looking at this at the moment

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186601 - at £267.76

Although it is running a N270 proccessor which is the standard 1.6ghz atom processor but the battery life is roughly 4 hours, newer models last around 6- 10 but it has 3 difference from standard netbooks.

1) RAM is upgradable, it has 1GB soldered on and you can add a extra 2GB of RAM so 3GB in total
    2) Nvidia ION graphics, it can run 720p videos without any problems as well as decent for light gaming which most netbooks arent
    3) 11.6inch, most netbooks fair around the 10" so you getting a slightly bigger screen.

1 Downside, it isnt a chicklet style keyboard, which is more spaced out, this is pretty close like old style laptops, but still usable.

But...

The new range of dual core (1.5ghz X2) netbooks which are within your budget and are more powerful running the N550 and other processor, aparently their pretty decent although i havent fully looked into it. Heres a example of one of the dual core netbooks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046XS4X...SIN=B0046XS4XC

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004445JQ...SIN=B004445JQI

If possible id look for a dual core netbook with nvidia ion graphics, i dont know if thats even out yet, but il search for it.

ReputationRep:
    HP Mini 311 is good for web browsing, office applications, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Samsung NC10, 10 hour battery life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.