Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you experienced? Lucid Dreaming Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just woke up from a lucid dream. That is to say, I made myself wake up.

Waking myself is possible once I realise I'm lucid dreaming. It's like wrenching yourself out of a really thick liquid, a heavy head stuck in tar.

When I was going to sleep at around 3 AM, I knew I was going to have a lucid dream. I just knew it. It's hard to explain. It's similar to the feeling when you're in a car, and you know it's going to stop before the red light, so you tense your upper body slightly backwards anticipating the leaning forward momentum you experience when you slow down. It's the same when you lean forward when you expect the car to speed up - but sometimes it doesn't, so you're sat there leaning forward going "hey why isn't the car -", lurch.

It's a sense of feeling that you come to recognise, and results in a set response. It's quite odd, but it's happened many times before, and this time I guess I'm here to see if others share the same experience.

I'm going to try to explain the process again, even if it's just for my sake.

So I'm in bed, trying to get to sleep. I'm dozing, falling into. But to reiterate, I don't realise I'm truly asleep until I'm actually dreaming, or until I realise that I'm dreaming. But it comes back to this; I know I'm going to have a lucid dream before I fall "truly" asleep and start dreaming, but it seems like I only know I'm dreaming until I lucidly dream.

Hm...well. I have definitely come to know when I'm going to have a lucid dream. One of the signs is a kind of "rigid" body, like I'm stuck in a Petrificus Totalus. I believe this feeling comes before I actually start dreaming.

Well, after this and that, and when I actually end up in the dream (today it was an old Victorian house), obviously I can do what ever I want. I can't change the setting of the dream (I'm not an architect), I usually just fly over landscapes.

Today I walked through walls. It's an odd feeling; like the moment when you fall back, knowing there's someone there to catch you, but you just can't be damned sure if they are... I didn't get to fly today, I just levitated. Wonder if is a sign of being a ghost in my dream. That's scary...or maybe I was just too lazy to walk? I may have even "teleported", or that could just the dream moving around.

Anyway, with today's lucid dreaming, there were other people. They act like how they would act in real life, but if, for example I wanted someone to come with me outside, I can make them.

It's odd.

OH ****

I forgot. I can touch things in dreams, and it actually feels like I'm touching something with my real hand, it's something I usually have to concentrate on. It's really weird; I move my arm to touch something. I think I see my arm touching something, but I have to concentrate to make it actually feel like I'm touching something, physically feel like.

Aaaanyway, hopefully there will be others to talk with about this.

Good night.

P.S. inb4 nazi grammar.
    P.P.S if anyone wants to try and interpret my dream, feel free to do so, I'm a pretty ****ed up person.
    P.P.P.S I've been doing this before that film came out.

ReputationRep:
    And what's the point of this post exactly?

I had a lucid dream once. I tried to turn it into a sex dream. I failed and woke up. Fml.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      I had a lucid dream once. I tried to turn it into a sex dream. I failed and woke up. Fml.
      Heh. Been there, didn't work me either.

ReputationRep:
      Freaking hate lucid dreams.

ReputationRep:
      cool!!!! can you bring jessica alba into the dream and get it on? Or does it not work like that? If I was you I would be sleeping 16hours a day lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DarkSenrine)
      And what's the point of this post exactly?
      I was hoping someone else has had similar experiences. It's a really odd feeling, knowing you're going to have a lucid dream.

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Ah but that's the beauty of it. Even if you wake up, you can "go" to the same place if you think about it specifically when you're falling back asleep. At least, it works for me.

ReputationRep:
      i love and hate them. hate the paralysis i always seem to get. i know what you mean about feeling it coming.

ReputationRep:
      I read about this once and how you can supposedly make yourself have a lucid dream by concentrating really hard on a very familiar place while falling asleep. When you fall asleep you are in the place you imagined. I did it once, I fell asleep and was in the dream and knew I was dreaming but I woke up right after and couldn't do it again.

I do havea question though, are you having a lucid dream when you are dreaming and you suddenly realised that it's a dream? i have had that a few times. Where I'm dreaming and it's just any old dream and something happens and I will be like ohhh this isn't real, I'm in a dream. Is that the same thing?
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by channy)
      Waking myself is possible once I realise I'm lucid dreaming. It's like wrenching yourself out of a really thick liquid, a heavy head stuck in tar.
      I get that. It's actually horribly horribly annoying.

What's funny is I just had a dream within a dream :mmm: lol inception. :p: (yes I was asleep until just now )

ReputationRep:
      Yeah I have lucid dreams quite often. Usually they are nightmares and I know not to look into reflections/mirrors/dark places. I can also make myself fly like you said, OP - it's quite cool! When I wake myself up from a dream I always take in really quick sharp breaths, you know that sharp feeling you get in your stomach when you gasp? Adrenaline maybe? That seems to wake me up. It's quite odd. Get sleep paralysis sometimes too...that is not so fun :no:

ReputationRep:

Well, after this and that, and when I actually end up in the dream (today it was an old Victorian house), obviously I can do what ever I want. I can't change the setting of the dream (I'm not an architect), I usually just fly over landscapes.

And you didn't **** anyone?

U mad, bro?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      And you didn't **** anyone?

U mad, bro?
      No...I'm not that desperate. Besides, flying is better.

ReputationRep:
      My lucid dreams happen when I'm meant to get up, turn my alarm off, and then fall into a half-asleep/half-awake state, where, although I have limited control over what happens, the experience is far more vivid and tangible.

ReputationRep:
      I used to have lucid dreams alot when I was a child, but sadly not anymore. They were absolutely brilliant fun. I have once experienced trying to wake myself up, however this was not a lucid dream. I remember trying to move my body but i could not because it was paralysed as I was still sleeping. I eventually managed to wake and move - it was not very pleasant experience but still very cool. You are a lucky man.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
      I used to have lucid dreams alot when I was a child, but sadly not anymore. They were absolutely brilliant fun. I have once experienced trying to wake myself up, however this was not a lucid dream. I remember trying to move my body but i could not because it was paralysed as I was still sleeping. I eventually managed to wake and move - it was not very pleasant experience but still very cool. You are a lucky man.
      That was the first one I had had in a while. I have no idea how you're supposed to be able to have them, at will. I read somewhere, that this man could... That would be schweet as.

ReputationRep:
      I watched Inception the other day. On one of the bonus discs it came with a documentary on dreams. It had a guy on it that said you can pretty much make yourself have lucid dreams, I guess its kind of similar to what you mention. I've been semi sucessful in that I've had a couple of dreams where for a split second I knew I was dreaming, a second or two I'd wake up

ReputationRep:
      "Like I'm stuck in a petrificus totalus"
      LOL

ReputationRep:
      No...I'm not that desperate. Besides, flying is better.
      Yeh but flying with Jessica Alba giving a bj is better still.

ReputationRep:
      I once had a dream, within a dream. It was like Inception with less gun fire and trains.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.