Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I am doing a degree in International Relations and I would like to do a Graduate Diploma in Economics and then an MSC (maybe even pHd) in economics. BUT, though I love this subject and would work really hard for it, I am unsure as to how good I will be in it: I am not naturally good at maths and I need to spend a considerable amount of time studying it. So I am worried about writing a dissertation on it. On the other hand, I am very good in IR, but I am not really enthusiastic in this field (ever since I started my course, I only do reading for the course, not out of interest).
    Also, does it matter where I do my Graduate Diploma? Say I do it at a London Uni such as SOAS, RHUL (for financial reasons), would it be ok? Or shall I apply to Warwick (though it would be more expensive).
    Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    Hello everyone, I am doing a degree in International Relations and I would like to do a Graduate Diploma in Economics and then an MSC (maybe even pHd) in economics. BUT, though I love this subject and would work really hard for it, I am unsure as to how good I will be in it: I am not naturally good at maths and I need to spend a considerable amount of time studying it. So I am worried about writing a dissertation on it. On the other hand, I am very good in IR, but I am not really enthusiastic in this field (ever since I started my course, I only do reading for the course, not out of interest).
    Also, does it matter where I do my Graduate Diploma? Say I do it at a London Uni such as SOAS, RHUL (for financial reasons), would it be ok? Or shall I apply to Warwick (though it would be more expensive).
    Thanks a lot.
    I had a similar issue last year when I was looking, upto July I was set on going to Warwick, but realised the diploma isn't worth a great deal and is very expensive. I came to York to take an MA in Econ/Phil without having an econ background myself. Theres good and bad points as with any course, but it is quite interesting. I could have opted to take the advanced courses, ie those in the MSc's. However, I didn't want to take them as they are mostly just applied math. But it's something worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    I had a similar issue last year when I was looking, upto July I was set on going to Warwick, but realised the diploma isn't worth a great deal and is very expensive. I came to York to take an MA in Econ/Phil without having an econ background myself. Theres good and bad points as with any course, but it is quite interesting. I could have opted to take the advanced courses, ie those in the MSc's. However, I didn't want to take them as they are mostly just applied math. But it's something worth considering.
    Thanks for ur answer. What subject did u study at undergraduate level?so would it be better to do the graduate diploma or do a masters in economics and another subject?i already took a year out and i will have to waste another year to do a diploma. I just want to do a phd asap!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.