Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Manchester/Liverpool "Cool" Places? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so i forgot to put one of my AS on my UCAS form, so UCL rejected me
    Gutted because i really had my sights set on it, i have loads of family in London and i just really bloody love the city.

Anyway, im completely gutted about not moving to London. I live in Birmingham and the most likely places i'll go are Liverpool or Manchester (both have given me offers) so all i would like to know now is - Are Manchester and Liverpool better/busier/cooler/more fun/cultured places than Birmingham and London? I really do like Birmingham and would have stayed but Birmingham Uni was asking for the same grades as UCL, and no other place in the midlands (or london) do my course. And i also really wanted to move.

I actually love busy cities. Birmingham isn't a very "cool" place and has f all to do here. I like it for no apparent reason but i always thought if i was going to move from here it would definitely be to london as im under the impression every other city in the UK is just the same as Birmingham or worse.

I dont care for clubbing, so that isn't a huge factor (i know thats what people always say and actually the kind of clubs and places that only play the music i like are in London) so i just want an impression of what the cities are like, nice to walk around, hang about, shop. I saw a bit of Manchester when i went up for my interview, but horrendous snow made it impossible to see uni itself, let alone the city. Never been to Liverpool.

So, how do the cities compare in atmosphere, experience etc to Birmingham and London?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes they are.

ReputationRep:
    Yea defos, i quite like manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihateyourhairstyle)

So, how do the cities compare in atmosphere, experience etc to Birmingham and London?
    Manchester is "cool". It's busy and thriving, but like any other city there's the good parts and the bad parts. On any day the town centre is busy and just feels alive, whether it's 9AM or 3AM The mets are also a bonus, I prefer it to the underground.

Feel free to ask any questions, I live in Manchester and have stayed in London, Liverpool and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, probably the two coolest cities outside of London (and a great deal more reasonably priced).

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that UCL rejected you solely because you missed off one of your AS grades? I don't understand how you can justify the rejection based on that, while the other places that gave you an offer also received the same incomplete application...

I’m sorry that reads as quite *****y, aha! It's not supposed to, I'm just curious

P.S. Manchester's definitely cool as I'm going there :cool:

Edit: Neg rep?!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is worse than London. People say the people of London are miserable and a pain in the arse. They ain't got a patch on Manchester, i've never met so many ***** in one place it's unreal. Maybe it's in their culture to behave like ********s?

EDIT: Mr/Miss neg repper, are you perhaps one of those morons with no manners? Seen as you clearly approve of their foul behaviour.

Oh dear, look at those 5 neg reps. It saddens me that people actually approve of this behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Manchester is worse than London. People say the people of London are miserable and a pain in the arse. They ain't got a patch on Manchester, i've never met so many ***** in one place it's unreal. Maybe it's in their culture to behave like ********s?
    Haha, what have Mancunians done to you? Although... unfortunately it's kinda true. I mean don't get me wrong, most individual Mancs are all fine, but in town people can be a bit rude...

I notice you're from Newcastle, seriously when I came up there to visit the uni I actually couldn't believe how nice and chatty everyone is. Big contrast to Manchester and London etc, so maybe that's why it seems so bad to you.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what your definition of 'cool' is.

The average Mancunian is definitely not as rude as the average Londoner though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treblepebble)
    Haha, what have Mancunians done to you? Although... unfortunately it's kinda true. I mean don't get me wrong, most individual Mancs are all fine, but in town people can be a bit rude...

I notice you're from Newcastle, seriously when I came up there to visit the uni I actually couldn't believe how nice and chatty everyone is. Big contrast to Manchester and London etc, so maybe that's why it seems so bad to you.
    I know! They're torturing me :p:

Exactly yeah, Newcastle folk are really nice, i'm used to having a chat with randomers, and queuing for buses, and the general politeness of people. So now I have to tell myself before I get on a bus, don't expect anything and then you won't get pissed off :lol: i'm trying to keep my sanity.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is a ****hole, Manchester is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted because i really had my sights set on it, i have loads of family in London and i just really bloody love the city.

Anyway, im completely gutted about not moving to London. I live in Birmingham and the most likely places i'll go are Liverpool or Manchester (both have given me offers) so all i would like to know now is - Are Manchester and Liverpool better/busier/cooler/more fun/cultured places than Birmingham and London? I really do like Birmingham and would have stayed but Birmingham Uni was asking for the same grades as UCL, and no other place in the midlands (or london) do my course. And i also really wanted to move.

I actually love busy cities. Birmingham isn't a very "cool" place and has f all to do here. I like it for no apparent reason but i always thought if i was going to move from here it would definitely be to london as im under the impression every other city in the UK is just the same as Birmingham or worse.

I dont care for clubbing, so that isn't a huge factor (i know thats what people always say and actually the kind of clubs and places that only play the music i like are in London) so i just want an impression of what the cities are like, nice to walk around, hang about, shop. I saw a bit of Manchester when i went up for my interview, but horrendous snow made it impossible to see uni itself, let alone the city. Never been to Liverpool.

Manchester? are you joking?:eek:
    if it werent one of the coolest places to be where on earth would any of these have come from...?

The Smiths
    Joy Division
    THE STONE ROSES
    Happy Mondays
    Inspiral Carpets
    Oasis

Manchester IS THE PLACE to be.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is awesome, liverpool... not so much!

ReputationRep:
    yes
    it's called blackpool and is coast upward from liverpool

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is cool.
    It's got really good shopping, loads of culture and good night life (and it's not all just clubs).
    It's not a sh*thole at all. Everyone is so friendly.

I like Manchester, visited it loads but I find it a bit overwhelming compared to Liverpool. Also, a nightmare to drive through!!!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is GREAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resentment.)
    Manchester? are you joking?:eek:
    if it werent one of the coolest places to be where on earth would any of these have come from...?

The Smiths
    Joy Division
    THE STONE ROSES
    Happy Mondays
    Inspiral Carpets
    Oasis

Manchester IS THE PLACE to be.

Agreed.

:five:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.