Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you be saving for a pension? Watch

• View Poll Results: Will you be saving for a pension?
    Yes
    85.71%
    No
    7.14%
    Don't know
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Just a random and general poll on this really, obviously somethings like NI which goes towards a state pension can't be avoided. But you know, there's other pension schemes, funds etc people can do.

I'm not going to save a penny extra than I have to pay in basic NI contributions, the way I see it, pensions are all a scam. You can't spend it until you're decript and want to die anyway and a lot can go wrong in 60 years (that's right, the retirement age will be pushed back to 80 for us) not withstanding the crooked fund managers creaming it all off.

I'd much rather spend my money now, buy nicer food, a better TV than to lock myself out of my money on the nevernever. A shotgun at 65 will be the answer.

Oh btw, I personally think the best pension is for you to have 10 children who doesn't hate you and chucking you in a retirement home. It's what the Indians do, seems to work.

wrong section facepalm, please move to general discussion or delete

ReputationRep:
    lol, I don't have enough money right now.

and well if I did have excess, I'd rather spend it when I was young.

I'm going to be investing money, and buying gold/silver when it's cheap.

ReputationRep:
      I probably will when I start a career... but not entirely sure yet.

ReputationRep:
      I hope your trolling. I garuntee by the time you retire the state pension will be worth much much less than it is today. Look that the demographic situation this country is in, our generation will not be having enough children, so there wont be enough people to support us, meaning that there wont be as much money coming our way and there will be more of us to spread it around to.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Callipygian)
      I hope your trolling. I garuntee by the time you retire the state pension will be worth much much less than it is today. Look that the demographic situation this country is in, our generation will not be having enough children, so there wont be enough people to support us, meaning that there wont be as much money coming our way and there will be more of us to spread it around to.
      I'm not trolling and ffs why won't a mod move this thread?
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      I will. I'm an accountant :p:

I want to enjoy my retirement. My Grandad (also an accountant) squirreled loads of money away while he worked, and my nan now lives in comfort - she goes on cruises and all sorts.

The reason our retirement age will be pushed back (though I doubt it will be by twenty years) is because people are living longer. This means we'll have the same amount of time to enjoy ourselves afterwards

ReputationRep:
      I will be saving for a pension. NI State Pension I doubt will be enough and I want to enjoy my retirement and relax - not have to worry about money issues. At least I'll have a steady sum of money coming my way, from more than just the state.

ReputationRep:
      Yes I am.

(Original post by Tootles)
      I'm going to be investing money, and buying gold/silver when it's cheap.
      I've been investing in a Nigerian bank, apprantly there is loads of money there untouched and if I invest I can get a share over time.....

ReputationRep:
      If I get where I earn enough money, I will probably open up another bank account and transfer money over to that account every paycheck and just save up for retirement myself . This way, I have the money saved in case I get into any financial difficulty, otherwise something to tide me over alongside my state pension. I won't be getting a private pension though .

(Original post by Jenny_Jazz)
        Yes I am.

I've been investing in a Nigerian bank, apprantly there is loads of money there untouched and if I invest I can get a share over time.....
        +1

Sounds like a plan.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        +1

Sounds like a plan.
        Sounds reilable too :yy:

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.