Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've always had a completely rational fear of burglars/ intruders breaking in during the night and I usually have dreams about people breaking into where I live but wake up before anything happens.

However, I had a dream where a man had broken in, realised there were people in the flat and was walking back down the hall way, at this point I ran after him, he went to shoot me with his gun but I forced it towards him and shot him. After seeing him on the ground I continued to shoot him a few more times.. After this I frantically called the police and awaited their arrival (my partner was also in the flat in this dream and I got a feeling that I was trying to protect her that's why I had to know the guy was definitely dead).

When the police arrived, they questioned me on what had happened and seemed impressed that I had been able to defend myself, thought they said I should get a lawyer for the court case. I then felt bad as I had shot the guy so many times and it might not look like it was self defence. I noticed I had blood on my hands and wanted to wash them but couldn't as the police had to take a picture of me.

I was so into this dream that I slept right through the alarm clock, which never happens as I'm such a ridiculously light sleeper usually!

I woke up quite upset (second alarm clock 10 minutes later apparently) and was able to remember the whole dream, usually I only remember snippets of dreams, not the whole thing.

Any psychology experts here? I've read some dream meanings about killing people in dreams, etc but I'm not convinced. Also why is it bothering me so much (I was literally in tears and it's not like I had a dream where a relative died, it was a complete stranger whose face is the part that I don't even remember!)

I've been having trouble sleeping the last few nights, and this is the deepest sleep I seem to have managed in agesss. Could the over tiredness have caused this?

ReputationRep:
    Gansta in the making Had you watched anything, or played anything simliar or violent before you went to sleep that could have made this dream occur? as people will often implement what they see/o duing their day into the dream.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely not a dream expert but yeah I think you're probably right about the over-tiredness as I've had a similar experience (though I didn't kill people in my dream ).
    You said something about feeling the urgency to protect your partner - maybe it was your subconscious trying to sort out any safety issues you might have. Or maybe it's just your subconscious concerned of the importance of you looking after her! Do you think it could be your fear for her safety or that you don't look after her quite as well as you could perhaps? Maybe it's some little niggle in your mind related to that that showed itself through a deep dream when your active mind wasn't there to squash the idea down.

Hope you're OK, dreams like that are horrible

ReputationRep:
    Should have gone Inception on his ass...

ReputationRep:
    It's only a dream. Don't take it seriously. Perhaps, you need to go to a physciatrist?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.