The Student Room Group

What makes a university give a lower end offer and how do I get one?

Hey, I'm sat in a computer cluster at University of Manchester doing a bit of interview prep as I have an interview in a couple of hours...

Just wondering how I should act in order to get a lower offer? My course gives out offers of ABB-BBC and ideally I want to get the lowest offer possible as I want this university to be my insurance.

It's more of an informal interview of them trying to sell you the uni, but I don't know whether to play a little bit hard to get or let them know that I love Manchester and it's one of my first choices. Your offer depends on your PS and this informal interview so I don't want to mess it up. I'm a bit worried that if I come across quite excited about the prospect of Manchester they'll make me an ABB offer because they know I'm going to choose it anyway...

If I don't get ABC/BBC then Leeds has to be my insurance...and I really don't want to go to Leeds :wink:

Help please!
Sexual favours?
Reply 2
Original post by radiated yoghurt
Sexual favours?

I seriously doubt a most-likely muslim female professor would respond well to that 'un...
Original post by lechaton-x
Hey, I'm sat in a computer cluster at University of Manchester doing a bit of interview prep as I have an interview in a couple of hours...

Just wondering how I should act in order to get a lower offer? My course gives out offers of ABB-BBC and ideally I want to get the lowest offer possible as I want this university to be my insurance.

It's more of an informal interview of them trying to sell you the uni, but I don't know whether to play a little bit hard to get or let them know that I love Manchester and it's one of my first choices. Your offer depends on your PS and this informal interview so I don't want to mess it up. I'm a bit worried that if I come across quite excited about the prospect of Manchester they'll make me an ABB offer because they know I'm going to choose it anyway...

If I don't get ABC/BBC then Leeds has to be my insurance...and I really don't want to go to Leeds :wink:

Help please!

You have to make them want you a lot! They will, in all likelihood, give you a low offer if that want you make them your firm choice. So just make it clear how interested you are in their course. Look up first year modules that you might be interested in taking, for example. Make it sound like it's there that you want to study and not just Arabic and Middle Eastern Studies anywhere...
I didn't know this was possible? Well, I guess you should real hone in on the questions you're being asked and perhaps ask the professor about their research interests (much more appealing than the sexual favours suggested).

If there is some kind of challenge or hardship in your life that you must overcome, you could mention that when they ask you questions about your life experience and character as they may consider it a potential obstacle to your ambition to get on the course.

Extenuating circumstances? Get a Dr, personal tutor, or teacher, if you really do have extenuating circumstances, to appeal to the university on your behalf stating that they fear you will not reach your full potential due to some external factor affecting your performance

Other than that, I really can't think of a way that you can get an offer lowered. I've never heard of anyone successfully doing it, and to be honest it very unethical considering everyone else has to compete on the same criteria and wont have the same kind of special treatment.

You gotta love Manchester though. Great city!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Student
I didn't know this was possible? Well, I guess you should real hone in on the questions you're being asked and perhaps ask the professor about their research interests (much more appealing than the sexual favours suggested).

If there is some kind of challenge or hardship in your life that you must overcome, you could mention that when they ask you questions about your life experience and character as they may consider it a potential obstacle to your ambition to get on the course.

Extenuating circumstances? Get a Dr, personal tutor, or teacher, if you really do have extenuating circumstances, to appeal to the university on your behalf stating that they fear you will not reach your full potential due to some external factor affecting your performance

Other than that, I really can't think of a way that you can get an offer lowered. I've never heard of anyone successfully doing it, and to be honest it very unethical considering everyone else has to compete on the same criteria and wont have the same kind of special treatment.

You gotta love Manchester though. Great city!!!

Is this a troll? I'm confused as pie.
Reply 6
The amount of cleavage you show.
Is this a troll? I'm confused as pie.

A Gringott's goblin, if you please!

In all seriousness no, this is not a 'troll'. Take what you will from my response: I was merely aiming to be helpful to you but also stating my moral opinion on the matter.

Apologies for the confusion.
Also - did you ask about their research interests? They usually promote these on their profiles on the university department's webpage.
Reply 9
I seriously doubt a most-likely muslim female professor would respond well to that 'un...

I reckon mentioning that you contribute to the english defence league's cause would go down a right treat!
I got mine lowered on results day - well, I totally missed the offer, but I got in anyway. I just asked a lot of questions about the course in my informal interview - no matter how rubbish they were, I just asked. And just sounded totally over enthusiastic in both my PS and interview :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending