Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm pretty pleased getting jobs, I have a problem now...
    I have one job between 12 and 25 hours a week, one that's 2 1/2 hours a week, and a volunteer thing that's about 3 hours. Plus I have uni (the 12-25 hour job will definitely be nearer 12 once uni starts up again, if I get kept on) and the 2 1/2 hour job I've got appraisals, odd meeting days etc.

I have a diary where I write all these sort of things in, but I find it's not enough and it's easy to double book, or forget what I'm doing that day etc. What's the best way to manage your time so you can keep track of everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conway!)
    Although I'm pretty pleased getting jobs, I have a problem now...
    I have one job between 12 and 25 hours a week, one that's 2 1/2 hours a week, and a volunteer thing that's about 3 hours. Plus I have uni (the 12-25 hour job will definitely be nearer 12 once uni starts up again, if I get kept on) and the 2 1/2 hour job I've got appraisals, odd meeting days etc.

I have a diary where I write all these sort of things in, but I find it's not enough and it's easy to double book, or forget what I'm doing that day etc. What's the best way to manage your time so you can keep track of everything?
    The main thing is to get your priorities in order. Are both jobs essential? personally I would prioritise uni work over anything else. If you have to keep both jobs to keep yourself afloat financially, consider dropping the voluntary work. That's not something I would normally recommend as it is so beneficial but sometimes you have to make difficult choices.

Look at your week as a whole, is there anything you can cut out? for example people spend hours each week watching emmerdale, coronation street and eastenders; that time could be better invested. It's important to have leisure time and some time to yourself but sometimes sacrafices have to be made. I started marathon running this year and was really enjoying it but I've had to give it up because I'm doing an intensive post-graduate course and I need more time to study. It's not forever, it's just for these next few months.

I too have a planner but I actually use it so I don't double book or lose track of where I am up to. The only solution there is to simply use your diary.

We all have the same 24 hours, just as Bill Gates and Richard Branson do, it's just about how we manage our time most effectively.

Sleep is the big one as well. How many hours sleep do you get? if you woke up one hour earlier each day, that's 7 hours a week you are saving. That's 364 hours a year which is approximately 15 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    good point - i could save a few hours a week quitting hollyoaks
    sleep I can't change because I'm tired all the time as it is, and can't study with any less, but the voluntary thing probably isn't worth it as much as the rest.
    unfortunately one job's essential for the money, one's essential for how brilliant it looks on my CV plus i really like it
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you're always this busy, then get two diaries (or a filofax with these two things built in):

Week View: Quickly see what you're doing in one week
    Day View with Times: You can organise your time each day here in more depth and be able to see times where you're not doing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conway!)
    good point - i could save a few hours a week quitting hollyoaks
    sleep I can't change because I'm tired all the time as it is, and can't study with any less, but the voluntary thing probably isn't worth it as much as the rest.
    unfortunately one job's essential for the money, one's essential for how brilliant it looks on my CV plus i really like it
    thanks!
    Is it really essential? I would say essential expenditure is rent, food and travel expenses (if any) to uni. To quote a passage from 'the richest man in babylon' by George S Clason:

"Some earn much more than others. Some have much larger families to support. Yet, all purses were equally lean. Now I will tell thee an unusual truth about men and sons of men. It is this: That what each of us calls our 'necessary expenses' will always grow to equal our income unless we protest to the contrary. Confuse not the necessary expenses with thy desires."

(You can purchase that book for about 3 pounds on Amazon and it has some of the best financial advice I've ever read-I didn't realise how grossly financially illiterate I was until I read that book.)

I use to work at KFC and my colleagues use to moan about how much they hated their job. I advised them to go back to college and to get themselves qualified for a better job and they always moaned that they couldn't afford to. After a bit of investigation, I discovered most of the money they worked hard for each week was spent on contract phones (some ran bills of hundreds of pounds); video games and copious amounts of alcohol consumed at the weekends.

I have a pay as you go phone and probaby spend maximum about £40 a year. That's because I only use it when it is essential to. I don't waste my money ringing up friends for trivial conversation. If people controlled their expenditures more, they wouldn't have to work as hard and could afford to get themselves more qualified thus improving their earning ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    i'm quitting the job with the more hours. they gave me my shifts today and between now and the 31st of december i have TWO days off. not happening! plus, working nine hours on new years eve :/
    made up a spending plan and realised i have more than enough with the other job + student loan to go by, i'll save working 35 hours a week for the summer.
    thanks for all the advice (and to the other person above), was great

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.