Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your view on the Niq'ab and Hij'ab? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've seen an increasing amount of girls starting to wear the Niq'ab and Hij'ab.

What are your views on it? What do you think? Should they wear it in the United Kingdom? If not then why?

Is this extreme?

ReputationRep:
    Use the search function matey, there are dozens of threads on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    There probably are, however. The numbers are increasing the United Kingdom.

My college is almost 100% Muslim and there's girls who wear Niq'ab and Hij'ab freely.

My views at that it's fine and no one should stop them from covering up.

ReputationRep:
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #Funky)
    There probably are, however. The numbers are increasing the United Kingdom.

My college is almost 100% Muslim and there's girls who wear Niq'ab and Hij'ab freely.

My views at that it's fine and no one should stop them from covering up.
    why start a thread on this, when it isn't affecting you in any way, shape or form?

ReputationRep:
    To guys who think it's acceptable, perhaps you should try wearing a niqab for a day, then come back and say it's empowering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mir3a)
    why start a thread on this, when it isn't affecting you in any way, shape or form?
    It does affect me I am around loads every single day. I work and interaact with them in regards to work when need be.

I'd love to here the views of the general student public on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    To guys who think it's acceptable, perhaps you should try wearing a niqab for a day, then come back and say it's empowering.
    Can I ask why it isn't acceptable? I know loads of females who wear the Niq'ab and every single one I know has chosen to wear it her self. So..?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the niqab, I think it's degrading and it's not fair on passersby in our society. I, however quite like the hijab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    I don't like the niqab, I think it's degrading and it's not fair on passersby in our society. I, however quite like the hijab
    How is it degrading? I'd love to here your reasons why. Oh and what do you like about the Hij'ab?

ReputationRep:
    It depends, people should have the right to their "oppressive freedom" but it's not going to help them interact with people outside their very specific social circle.
    It's the lack of integration is this country that fuels the scummy racists.

IMO the Muslim community needs to do more to integrate in this country, like so many other cultures have.

ReputationRep:
    look like ninjas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    It depends, people should have the right to their "oppressive freedom" but it's not going to help them interact with people outside their very specific social circle.
    It's the lack of integration is this country that fuels the scummy racists.

IMO the Muslim community needs to do more to integrate in this country, like so many other cultures have.
    The Niq'ab doesn't prevent intergration. When you're on the phone to customer services and a female agent is on your case you can't see her face right?

It's similar to other methods such as instant messaging and such. What kind of intergration do you think needs to happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    look like ninjas
    I'm sure they look much better than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #Funky)
    How is it degrading? I'd love to here your reasons why. Oh and what do you like about the Hij'ab?
    It's degrading towards British people to see people concealing their complete identity behind an outfit - especially when it doesn't happen in our culture. It's like every British person dressing as a clown everyday.

I like the Hijbab because it's traditional, and it's actually quite nice looking and it's doesn't conceal someone's identity.

ReputationRep:
    If they have genuinely chosen to wear it and they feel empowered by wearing it then it's their choice and I don't have a problem with it. However if they've been coerced into wearing it in any way shape or form then I'm totally against it.

I wouldn't object to somebody wearing a balaclava at their own free will, so I don't with the Niqab, but I do seriously wonder how many people wearing them actually chose entirely freely to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    It's degrading towards British people to see people concealing their complete identity behind an outfit - especially when it doesn't happen in our culture. It's like every British person dressing as a clown everyday.

I like the Hijbab because it's traditional, and it's actually quite nice looking and it's doesn't conceal someone's identity.
    I'm British and I don't find it degrading. I find things such as wearing a mini-skirt and a shirt where the bra is clearly seen through it is degrading.

I'd rather a woman cover up than walk around naked. Both the Niq'ab and Hij'ab are nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    If they have genuinely chosen to wear it and they feel empowered by wearing it then it's their choice and I don't have a problem with it. However if they've been coerced into wearing it in any way shape or form then I'm totally against it.

I wouldn't object to somebody wearing a balaclava at their own free will, so I don't with the Niqab, but I do seriously wonder how many people wearing them actually chose entirely freely to do so.
    Trust me many women do.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a really bad argument

ReputationRep:

Have you ever worn niqab? I fail to see why you should know any better when you are just as unqualified to comment constructively as the next fellow.

FWIW, I like and respect the headscarf. I have no qualms about it at all except in the case of parents who make their young daughters wear it. It's a woman's garment designed to conceal womanly curves so it has no place in a little girl's wardrobe. As for the niqab I am still undecided. I know a handful of girls who freely wear it out of their own choice. I just don't understand why you would wear one in Europe. There is no need. Niqabis to me seem to wear it out of vanity and not piety.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.