Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 'mature student' hoping to start on A level biology next month. I actually already have one degree, but am hoping to do another starting in a couple of years (in Animal Behavior), and need the biology for that.

I'm thinking Edexcel sounds good, but opinions would be welcome!

I'm also wondering about a course provider (eg NEC etc). What do they actually do for you? As far as I can see they provide support (which is a bit of a wooly quantity!) and mark one project. I'm wondering if it's possible to do it without a provider as £400 or so seems a lot for possibly just marking one essay? I'd be interested in peoples' experiences of how much help they got from their provider. Anyone done it without a provider?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rowan Green)
    Hi, I'm a 'mature student' hoping to start on A level biology next month. I actually already have one degree, but am hoping to do another starting in a couple of years (in Animal Behavior), and need the biology for that.

I'm thinking Edexcel sounds good, but opinions would be welcome!

I'm also wondering about a course provider (eg NEC etc). What do they actually do for you? As far as I can see they provide support (which is a bit of a wooly quantity!) and mark one project. I'm wondering if it's possible to do it without a provider as £400 or so seems a lot for possibly just marking one essay? I'd be interested in peoples' experiences of how much help they got from their provider. Anyone done it without a provider?

Thanks!
    Edexcel is the best choice-Why?

I myself am studying Edexcel biology-The specification hass been revised:they have integrated a new section in the syllabus named "How Science Works".

The Edexcel GCE Biology specification has been designed to engage and inspire students by showing how an understanding of many contemporary issues requires a grasp of fundamental biological ideas.
    It offers centres a choice of two well-proven teaching and learning styles within one common assessment structure.
    The two approaches to the content of the specification are:
    a concept-led approach. This approach begins with a study of the laws, theories and models of biology and finishes with an exploration of their practical applications a context-led topic approach. This approach begins with the consideration of an application that draws on many different areas of biology, and then moves on to the biological concepts underlying this application.
    The design of this approach is based on the Salters-Nuffield Advanced Biology Project.
    Both approaches enable the use of motivating, up-to-date, contemporary contexts. Centres may offer courses based completely on either or both approaches, or ‘mix and match’ the approaches to different topics
    within one course. This aims both to attract and retain more students by matching their own learning needs and to make teaching more enjoyable for teachers.

Message me for more details
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathan3909)
    Edexcel is the best choice
    then why don't all the sixth forms do Edexcel Biology?

ReputationRep:
    Doing Edexcel Bio with NEC & the service is not as I expected,practicals are quite badly made & the materials are hard to find (Yep you have to do practicals @ home) eg.Live Daphnia,my tutor isn t being very helpful either @ the moment.
    The textbook is not great & the online resources are not available to NEC students,unless you pay...
    The course materials are kinda helpful,but not that great when it comes to micrographs,graph analysis & maths in bio.I found the CGP book better than the textbook.
    NEC can t provide you with practice papers,you have to get them off your exam center/buy them on Edexcel website.
    Its not all bad,but not as I expected.

ReputationRep:
    tutors mark assignment (practice qs that slightly resemble exam papers),your coursework which is core practicals and a project.They are also supposed to answer qs,(doesn t always happen)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm

Sounds like you do need a provider...

And it's going to be very expensive!

I think daphnia are found in a lot of ponds? (And I might be getting the Science Museum mini microscope they have in Sainsburies at the moment: sounds like I will be needing it!)

ReputationRep:
    PS: just did a search: you can buy live daphnia online and get them delivered for around £3 from eBay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rowan Green)
    PS: just did a search: you can buy live daphnia online and get them delivered for around £3 from eBay.
    Thanks but I don t live in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Hissyfit: try doing a search for 'live daphnia' and you may well find a suplier. Good luck!

Worldcollide: LOL! Will look out for her.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.