Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To job seekers, or not to job seekers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

i'm having a tough time looking for work despite good academic credentials (which mean squat today tbh), but anyway, I don't want the lack of job affect my social habits of going rock climbing once a week so in order to keep this up i'm thinking of claiming job seekers until I get a job.

But I don't like the idea of social handouts when i'm not as needy as people who have to pay rent and so forth (cos i'm living with parents), so I was wondering, should i claim job seekers, or should i not, and why.

Anyone here claiming it?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Claim if you need the money, although you dont seem to need much, but its something to get you going till you find a job. I'd agree i wouldnt like social handouts but if i really needed to pay rent then i probably would, but im not a scrounger who stays at home and leech of the government. I'd just try and find a job ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    Claim if you need the money, although you dont seem to need much, but its something to get you going till you find a job. I'd agree i wouldnt like social handouts but if i really needed to pay rent then i probably would, but im not a scrounger who stays at home and leech of the government. I'd just try and find a job ASAP.
    Easier said than done my friend, but rest assured I am trying my best. Rewriting my CV as I type.

ReputationRep:
    If you're entitled to it why not claim it? Anyone else who was entitled to it would.

ReputationRep:
    If you are really trying to find a job then absolutely go for it. There's far more scummier people claiming it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)

But I don't like the idea of social handouts when i'm not as needy as people who have to pay rent and so forth (cos i'm living with parents), so I was wondering, should i claim job seekers, or should i not, and why.

Anyone here claiming it?
    I claimed job seekers for about a month - it basically paid for my petrol driving around to go to interviews/check out jobs.

If you'll be using it for the same kind of thing, you're doing a lot better than the scum who were in that office ont he day i went in (one guy had been going there for 6 months and every time he went and was asked what work he had checked out he would say 'uhhhh... Well i looked, like, in a newspaper and ****...')

I'm not saying that some people don't need it, i'm just saying that a lot of low lifes take advantage of the tax payer because they're just lazy and want an easy life.

If you're just doing it so you can keep up your rock climbing, then ... Up to you really, then you will just be a leech.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

i'm having a tough time looking for work despite good academic credentials (which mean squat today tbh), but anyway, I don't want the lack of job affect my social habits of going rock climbing once a week so in order to keep this up i'm thinking of claiming job seekers until I get a job.

Anyone here claiming it?

Cheers
    I am claiming it! I live away from home so I need it for rent etc while I painfully look for a job! You will only be getting around £50 a week as they won't give you rent or council tax benefits so you aren't really taking a lot.

What you need to remember is that that is what it is there for! People who sponge of benefits have given it such a bad name. It was originally introduced for people like you who were actively seeking a job but needed some money off of the gvt. while they were doing so!

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mother_eve3088)
    If you're just doing it so you can keep up your rock climbing, then ... Up to you really, then you will just be a leech.
    I'm not considering it just for climbing. I am actively looking for work and have probably done like 15-20 applications since getting back to the UK last Thursday. At the moment money is leaving my savings account and nothing is going in so i'm forfeiting a lot of luxuaries like going to musuems, going to the library by train to read a newspaper, rock climbing, etc....instead i spend all day at home looking for jobs which is a bit naff.... I need some money to buy a train fare/go climbing to keep myself mentally sane whilst job hunting.

I hope that is morally justifiable

ReputationRep:
    Easier said than done my friend, but rest assured I am trying my best. Rewriting my CV as I type.
    True it is allot harder being done, but i guess your entitled to job seekers as your tryna find a job, better you claiming then some scrooge who doesnt plan to work a day in his life and expect to live of job seekers and benefits.

Id rather the money go to somebody that actually wants to work like yourself, rather than some lazy layabout.

ReputationRep:
    Lets put it this way. There is only one answer YES. Your are entitled to it, also your parents pay soo much in taxes so why not claim the money which basically is your parents money. Think about it as your parents giving you the money since they pay high taxes. Also note, it will go towards your national insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not considering it just for climbing. I am actively looking for work and have probably done like 15-20 applications since getting back to the UK last Thursday. At the moment money is leaving my savings account and nothing is going in so i'm forfeiting a lot of luxuaries like going to musuems, going to the library by train to read a newspaper, rock climbing, etc....instead i spend all day at home looking for jobs which is a bit naff.... I need some money to buy a train fare/go climbing to keep myself mentally sane whilst job hunting.

It's not... the money isn't there for luxuries.

However, you are eligible and you're your own person so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gowrav)
    Your are entitled to it, also your parents pay soo much in taxes so why not claim the money which basically is your parents money. Think about it as your parents giving you the money since they pay high taxes.
    El oh el.

My parents pay taxes so really I should be able to have sex with the fittest female police officers is what you're saying?

ReputationRep:
    If you've worked before and payed tax, then why not? You've earnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    El oh el.

My parents pay taxes so really I should be able to have sex with the fittest female police officers is what you're saying?
    Damn, I hope thats true!

Hows birmingham law going?

To the OP, it is a personal choice, your entitled to it so claim it if you can live with yourself sponging on the state when its clearly not needed.

ReputationRep:

Well then go right ahead I was just teasing, don't worry. You are actually looking for a job instead of scrounging benefits, that is morally justifiable. I could go on an epic rant about how much i hate the other people, but then i'm sure i'd a) get neg repped and b) start off a huge fight when one of those other people found this

Although that's saying they'd use something like TSR instead of sat in front of the telly with beers and crisps and a pack of cigaretts - steriotyping much? yep

ReputationRep:
    Reasons why people in the UK are unemployed:
    1. Increasing feminisation of the labour market-'women only care jobs' or 'waitresses wanted'. The younger and better looking a woman is the more chance she has.
    2. Unions are virtually useless-happy to take your money though, but only care about the more 'skilled'/prestigious workers.
    3. Most jobs DEMAND you have a car. How many doleys at the joke-shop have cars.
    4. Discrimination against the disabled (no matter how small)- I got turned down by an agency because I declared I took prozac.
    5. Ageism- I was once told I was too old for a trainee office job because I was too old_ I was 19 at the time! Credit where its due the JobCentre had a go at them for that!
    6. Nepotism (favouritism of friends and reliatives)- Believe it or not the Councils, NHS trusts and well known supermarkets are the worst offenders for this! I can understand a corner shop/newsagent/Chinese takeaway doing it!
    7. Employment agencies who advertise non-existent jobs. WHy is this not illegal?
    I am not going to blame immigrants as it's the greedy *******s who hire them because theye cheaper are to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    If you're entitled to it why not claim it? Anyone else who was entitled to it would.
    This. No matter what, the money will be useful to you until you get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkenMaster)
    Reasons why people in the UK are unemployed:
    1. Increasing feminisation of the labour market-'women only care jobs' or 'waitresses wanted'. The younger and better looking a woman is the more chance she has.
    2. Unions are virtually useless-happy to take your money though, but only care about the more 'skilled'/prestigious workers.
    3. Most jobs DEMAND you have a car. How many doleys at the joke-shop have cars.
    4. Discrimination against the disabled (no matter how small)- I got turned down by an agency because I declared I took prozac.
    5. Ageism- I was once told I was too old for a trainee office job because I was too old_ I was 19 at the time! Credit where its due the JobCentre had a go at them for that!
    6. Nepotism (favouritism of friends and reliatives)- Believe it or not the Councils, NHS trusts and well known supermarkets are the worst offenders for this! I can understand a corner shop/newsagent/Chinese takeaway doing it!
    7. Employment agencies who advertise non-existent jobs. WHy is this not illegal?
    I am not going to blame immigrants as it's the greedy *******s who hire them because theye cheaper are to blame.
    Oh and I forgot to add that the minimum wage is not enough! There is little honour/romance for those concerned about struggling on low wages (especially in areas with high cost of living). Also on less than £6ph, you can forget about buying your own house or starting a pension!

ReputationRep:
    If you can claim then you should. When you claim jobseekers you will also get National Insurance contributions which can help in the future with your pension etc.

Its crazy not to claim.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't feel guilty or ashamed for claiming JSA, its just the layabouts who claim it without intending on ever getting a job who have made it seem like a bad thing to claim. Its there for you to use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.