Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The tax disc on my car ran out at the end of November, and I bought a new one online. Only issue is that the new tax disc went to my home rather than my university halls, so currently the car still has the old out of date one on it.

Is this a problem, even though I have paid my tax but just don't have the disc on my car?

I am reluctant to get it sent up as there are problems with the post and I really don't want to lose it!

ReputationRep:
    I think you get a different offence "failure to display" instead of not having road tax. Not 100% sure on this.

ReputationRep:
    Send it special delivery, don't send it through the normal post. Unless any of your addresses are in Scotland, because then you're screwed

EDIT: Just looked and you ARE in Scotland. The post is pretty ineffective in Scotland at the moment because of the weather and all that. I don't even know what to suggest now!!

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I suggest calling the authority to ask their advice - state the situation and explain the weather situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    I think you get a different offence "failure to display" instead of not having road tax. Not 100% sure on this.
    Yes- this is the case i believe.
    Is there any chance you could get your parents or someone to take it to uni for you. Or send it recorded delivery.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, send it special delivery. there preminum service gets delivered on time.

ReputationRep:
    yes criminal ofence failure to display

ReputationRep:
    Must display.

ReputationRep:
    Ha seeing as the weather is bad, will you get your car out anyway? :s

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't worry about it.
    Yes there is the whole "failure to display" law but it's not going to bite you in the arse.

Was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, sort of...
    I bought my disk early and left it in my history folder. 4 days into the new month I was stopped by the rozzers - nothing exciting just a spot check. He pointed out the tax disk had expired but noted it was showing on the computer as tax.
    I explained the situation and he told me to put it in when I got home.

Get the disk posted out to you recorded delivery but continue to drive as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Wouldn't worry about it.
    Yes there is the whole "failure to display" law but it's not going to bite you in the arse.

Was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, sort of...
    I bought my disk early and left it in my history folder. 4 days into the new month I was stopped by the rozzers - nothing exciting just a spot check. He pointed out the tax disk had expired but noted it was showing on the computer as tax.
    I explained the situation and he told me to put it in when I got home.
    It sounds like the officer used a huge amount of discretion on that occasion, but I wouldn't advise people to break the law hoping every officer will do the same.

It is technically an offence to fail to display, and it's true that if your tax, insurance and MOT status tick all the boxes on the police ANPRs then you are unlikely to be pulled over. But if your car is parked up on the street or in a council car park, you can still be ticketed or clamped.

Personally, I would avoid driving the car until the tax is displayed properly unless your journey is worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    You can, quite legitimately, buy a new tax disc up to and including 23.59 on the day of your current tax disc's expiry. Then you have 5 days (possibly 5 working days - DirectGov ambiguous) for the disc to arrive during which you are not committing an offence by driving/having the vehicle on the road.
    http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...ons#QUESTION_8

The 5 days grace only applies if you applied before the end of the month. Otherwise, strictly speaking, you have no grace period. The police can deal with you as they see fit.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you go through an ANPR camera it will show you as having tax so its only if you get stopped which is pretty unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    It sounds like the officer used a huge amount of discretion on that occasion, but I wouldn't advise people to break the law hoping every officer will do the same.

It is technically an offence to fail to display, and it's true that if your tax, insurance and MOT status tick all the boxes on the police ANPRs then you are unlikely to be pulled over. But if your car is parked up on the street or in a council car park, you can still be ticketed or clamped.

Personally, I would avoid driving the car until the tax is displayed properly unless your journey is worth the risk.

A huge ammount of discression?
    Get real. It's called common sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.