The Student Room Group

Facebook being really creepy

Facebook just suggested to me that I add one of my tutors at university. Only 4 of us are taught by this person and he's external to the university so it's not like he has lots of students as friends. We have no friends in common, I have never searched for him, never even discussed him in facebook messages or anything like that.

HOW DOES IT KNOW?!

I am genuinely concerned by this. The only thing I can think of is that fb has somehow managed to read my personal gmail emails?!

Scroll to see replies

Don't be stupid - he's probably got your University listed as one of his networks.
Reply 2
:rofl:

Don't worry. I used to get suggestions for people I never knew, It happens.

I'm sure no one has read your emails. :ninja:
Reply 3
It can read your mind
Reply 4
There will be some formula or algorithm which Facebook uses to link you both.

Facebook suggested people for me to add - people I don't like / haven't spoken to.

It's probably down to which 'networks' you are in or something like that.

I wouldn't worry, I know Facebook is a technological advancement but I doubt it can consciously access your e-mails :wink:
Reply 5
Facebook has expanded into the real world and follows you around everyday looking for people you could add.
Reply 6
He isn't part of my university network - he's a GP (im a medical student) that I'm on placement with this year, external of the university.

He only has 18 friends, none of whom are linked to the university either.

Very very odd...
Reply 7
Its a conspiracy...
Do do do do
Do do do do...
Reply 8
There is a facility that you can allow access to your gmail, hotmail etc. contacts and then it would suggest those people as friends. Maybe it is just that. Otherwise, it could just be a coincidence. I don't think it is that creepy though (unless he paid Zuckerberg £10,000 to have facebook subtly suggest you as a friend)
He probs has a gander over your profile and ****s over your pics everyday. Facebook has calculated all this. :cyber:
Reply 10
You need to relax.
Reply 11
Original post by Mastermind`

Original post by Mastermind`
He probs has a gander over your profile and ****s over your pics everyday. Facebook has calculated all this. :cyber:

Oh shiiii...
Reply 12
Have you ever used the Friend Finder function before? If he's one of your email contacts than it would have suggested you add him before and it has probably just retained that information.
That's why they're so keen for people to use the Friend Finder; because now they can know people who are in your real life social network, even if you aren't friends with them on facebook.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ever used the Facebook Friend Finder?

That uses your e-mail address book to search for people you might know.

(LinkedIn does the same thing, which always weirds me out - it suggests people I've never spoken to in my life, because we've both been CC'd in on the same e-mail at some point!)
Reply 14
nope never used friend finder.

bah oh well.
Reply 15
University network

okay fine it's a conspiracy.
(edited 13 years ago)
that isnt creepy really ..... im getting poked by people i have only one friend in common with and ive never met them before ( thats creepy ) and they are from the otherside of the country !!

someone from wales added me and i never even been there :O and he was really old :O i get weird messages from weird arabic names ... its been happening alot now kinda annoying ... i love the block button though :biggrin:
Reply 17
He may have used Friend Finder, and chosen not to add you from his Gmail address book.

He may have only just joined Facebook, in which case Facebook might seek to promote his exposure.

You're in the same network so the suggestion went through.

Then again, I'm sure Mark Z could hack your e-mails within seconds if he wanted to.
Original post by BlueRoses
Facebook just suggested to me that I add one of my tutors at university. Only 4 of us are taught by this person and he's external to the university so it's not like he has lots of students as friends. We have no friends in common, I have never searched for him, never even discussed him in facebook messages or anything like that.

HOW DOES IT KNOW?!

I am genuinely concerned by this. The only thing I can think of is that fb has somehow managed to read my personal gmail emails?!

FB once suggested MY LANDLORD as a friend! I have previously e-mailed him from the same address that is tied to my FB account, that's the only link. He doesn't even live anywhere near us.
Reply 19
FB suggested my manager as a friend...which was weird considering I don't even have her personal email address, have no mutual friends, and haven't once told anyone where I work through FB. Rather odd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending