Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RBS Risk or BoA Ops Grad programme? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Overall which of the two would be better in terms of pay and career progression etc? I'm guessing the Risk position would be the preferred option but I've seen a lot of people on here talking **** about RBS lol.

I've heard that the BoA position is 33 + 4/5 sign on, which I'm assuming is less than RBS?

ReputationRep:
    RBS.... feels good to be backed by a AAA majority shareholder :P

Risk is pretty crappy though, do Ops its alright... compared to your average job its actually good, just ignore the FO wannabes on here or else you will end up sucking every Traders BSD lol. Depends what you wanna do with your career though as to which is best in terms of pay & career progression over time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    RBS.... feels good to be backed by a AAA majority shareholder :P

Risk is pretty crappy though, do Ops its alright... compared to your average job its actually good, just ignore the FO wannabes on here or else you will end up sucking every Traders BSD lol. Depends what you wanna do with your career though as to which is best in terms of pay & career progression over time...
    thanks for the response.

Why do you say risk is pretty crappy? I thought it was a better position to be in than Ops if one wanted to move into FO (I'm not saying that I want to go to FO!) and had better pay in general. Someone I know who interned at BoA risk says it's base 39 + 4/5 sign on for first year i.e. better than Ops. Is RBS Risk higher than this?

I'm not really sure what I want to do in the future, that's why I'm using the graduate pay as a way of deciding. I don't even know if I'll be in the banking sector in a couple of years so I may as well take the option that gives me the most pay in the meantime. And if for some reason I did end up wanting to move into FO, I would like to be in a position that doesn't make it next to impossible to make that jump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarlittle)
    Overall which of the two would be better in terms of pay and career progression etc? I'm guessing the Risk position would be the preferred option but I've seen a lot of people on here talking **** about RBS lol.

I've heard that the BoA position is 33 + 4/5 sign on, which I'm assuming is less than RBS?
    risk is THE place to be TODAY. A significant component of the financial system's downfall was due to the lack of importance and power attached to risk departments. Risk analysts were often coerced by traders to give the green light on bad trades. In the crisis aftermath, weve realised the importance of risk departments in the trading and investment cycle and shed light on how powerless and disprespected risk people really were. So as a result banks across the board are BEEFING up their risk departments and i imagine a lot more value will be given to those working in risk into the future. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I am against risk is that it seems the more dull of the two... but that's just me. It depends what you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drugs)
    risk is THE place to be TODAY. A significant component of the financial system's downfall was due to the lack of importance and power attached to risk departments. Risk analysts were often coerced by traders to give the green light on bad trades. In the crisis aftermath, weve realised the importance of risk departments in the trading and investment cycle and shed light on how powerless and disprespected risk people really were. So as a result banks across the board are BEEFING up their risk departments and i imagine a lot more value will be given to those working in risk into the future. Think about it.
    Thanks for that. Certainly is something to think about!

(Original post by rozzr)
    The only reason I am against risk is that it seems the more dull of the two... but that's just me. It depends what you like.
    Fair enough. Although I've heard market risk can be quite interesting compared to credit risk. May I ask if you've had any direct experience within Ops or Risk? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omarlittle)
    Fair enough. Although I've heard market risk can be quite interesting compared to credit risk. May I ask if you've had any direct experience within Ops or Risk? Just curious.
    Hm I don't know enough about the different risk roles unfortunately, i tarred it as boring quite quickly but that's just me! Ops can be ok though it does depend on the department.

Yes, I had interviews for Risk at RBS (intern) but took an offer in Ops at Morgan Stanley instead (intern). I've now just signed RBS IBD DCM for grad.

ReputationRep:
    With a bit of experience with Ops, I would say nothing could be more boring than it
    I'd take RBS Risk if I were you
    Do you know which teams you will be placed at? (for both risk/ops)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.