Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know some of what I am about to ask has been covered on other threads but its hard to find all info relevant to me so would appreciate any help!

I have a 2'1 history degree from Leeds uni and am considering whether to do a politics MA. Few questions;
    what would be the best uni's I could realistically get into with my degree for the MA? I am thinking of applying for Bristol, Essex, Warwick and Sussex...any others, opinions on those?
    More importantly...(i know this is hard to quantify) but how much value will a political MA put on my employability?? I want to work either within the public sector or political circles but have relatively little experience. Will this MA help me to get jobs I want or will I struggle even after completing it?? I am concerned I will be spending a year taking a masters that won't be worth the money/time in regards of furture job prospects.

Thanks so much for any help on this
    (I am also considering masters in other subjects and have made seperate threads asking for advice on them)

ReputationRep:
    Most masters ask for a 2:1 or higher, but it might depend on how high your 2:1 was (ie 62 or 67) as to which masters you could apply for. Given that there's no limit on how many you can apply to, if you have good references and a good proposal, you could definitely try for somewhere like Oxford or LSE. I'd urge you to look carefully at the course content before applying as they do tend to vary quiet widely in what is compulsory etc.

In terms of jobs, yes, I found that a masters was good for my employment prospects, so many people working in politics seem to have them these days. It wont guarantee anything though, and you should definitely be sure that it's something that you would enjoy, as well as just to help you get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam1803)
    Hey, I know some of what I am about to ask has been covered on other threads but its hard to find all info relevant to me so would appreciate any help!

I have a 2'1 history degree from Leeds uni and am considering whether to do a politics MA. Few questions;
    what would be the best uni's I could realistically get into with my degree for the MA? I am thinking of applying for Bristol, Essex, Warwick and Sussex...any others, opinions on those?
    More importantly...(i know this is hard to quantify) but how much value will a political MA put on my employability?? I want to work either within the public sector or political circles but have relatively little experience. Will this MA help me to get jobs I want or will I struggle even after completing it?? I am concerned I will be spending a year taking a masters that won't be worth the money/time in regards of furture job prospects.

Thanks so much for any help on this
    (I am also considering masters in other subjects and have made seperate threads asking for advice on them)
    What area of politics are you interested in eventually working in? This is important as some areas (eg: political communications) are better to just get a job straight out of undergrad, while others (eg: policy research) you would want a higher degree for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.