The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Social Sciences of the Internet MA Oxford

Hi Guys

This MA is relatively new and I havn't come across that much feedback on the course despite scouring the internet & these forums!

I'm interested in the sort of backgrounds that people who are applying or have done the course come from...is it mainly academic or business?

I would also love a bit more detail regarding the topics covered by the course.
It all seems rather broad and while this is an element that appeals to me - I want to know more before I apply!!

Cheers guys!
Reply 1
Hey Ahyaes,

I actually applied and interviewed with them yesterday! It seems like a wonderful program to be honest. I have a background in Social Science, specifically Communication Studies. I look at how online social networks contribute to the consumption and circulation of news and what that means for informed democracies.

I think you should totally apply REGARDLESS of your current discipline. OII prides itself on a interdisciplinary perspective so they welcome people from diverse backgrounds.

I totally think the program is worth it. I flew all the way from the United States so that I could be in person for my interview so that should tell you that they are doing enough good things to get me to leave the country!

I hope this helps!

Cohen

Original post by Ahyaes
Hi Guys

This MA is relatively new and I havn't come across that much feedback on the course despite scouring the internet & these forums!

I'm interested in the sort of backgrounds that people who are applying or have done the course come from...is it mainly academic or business?

I would also love a bit more detail regarding the topics covered by the course.
It all seems rather broad and while this is an element that appeals to me - I want to know more before I apply!!

Cheers guys!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Oh and it is a Masters of Science not Arts lolz.
I'm applying as someone who will be graduating this year from law - they do look for many different backgrounds!

I'm quite nervous about my application (which I submitted for the first deadline). It may be bad news that I haven't heard a word from them at all since submitting my application!
Reply 4
Thank-you Cohens!!

My interest in social media is very similar to yours & I'm definitely going to give it some further & more serious thought.

I've aslo looked at the communications masters at Sciences Po (Paris) and although this has an element of digital communications - I'm not convinced that its as thorough or innovative.

Thanks for your help & I hope your interview went well. What kind of thing did they ask you?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending