Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to eat healthier while at uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any of my friends have been eating too well since starting uni either..lunch and dinner often consists of pasta or pizza (usually the premade ones), and eating chocolate and biscuits whilst studying. Doesn't help that living much nearer to town now presents the temptation of delicious takeaways (chinese! yum!) and cheap student budget-friendly cafes and restaurants where the food features more calories than preferable for one meal. Needless to say, I've put on weight I really want to get rid of as I'm fed up of having an extra bit of chubb and not fitting my clothes like I used to.

Someone told me to switch to soy milk rather than regular milk, buy low-fat meals and eat veggie sausages & veggie nuggets rather than meat ones..is this better for you?

Do any uni students here actually eat healthily throughout the day, or have any tips on healthy food to make which is good for you as well as being filling and appetising?

ReputationRep:
    I do weights, so I eat 3000+ calories a day, so I don't give a **** what I eat tbh.

ReputationRep:
    get your 5 a day.

ReputationRep:
    i'm in totally the same boat as you . there is a mcdonalds and kfc literally a five minute walk from my house the temptation is so bad! i've put on extra weight which i am not loving at all cos i wanted to lose weight before i came, now i have even more to lose!

stuff like vege sausages, burgers and mince has made a big difference to me. it all cooks so much quicker than the meat alternatives too, which i like cos im impatient haha.
    for snacks, i do still eat a fair amount of chocolate but i've stopped buying crisps and biscuits, so now i cant eat them. i've brought some sunflower seeds, cashews and peanuts ermmm things like grapes and bananas that are easy to grab. i drink skimmed milk and eat wholemeal bread so that might make a bit of a difference.. ermm, wholemeal pasta is better for you than white... couscous is quick and easy! jacket potatoes just dont add too much cheese lol, and porridge for breakfast!
    oh and if you're worried about waste, buy frozen veg! the broccoli and cauliflower doesnt take too long to cook, is cheaper and lasts pretty much foreverrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxcs)
    I don't think any of my friends have been eating too well since starting uni either..lunch and dinner often consists of pasta or pizza (usually the premade ones), and eating chocolate and biscuits whilst studying. Doesn't help that living much nearer to town now presents the temptation of delicious takeaways (chinese! yum!) and cheap student budget-friendly cafes and restaurants where the food features more calories than preferable for one meal. Needless to say, I've put on weight I really want to get rid of as I'm fed up of having an extra bit of chubb and not fitting my clothes like I used to.

Someone told me to switch to soy milk rather than regular milk, buy low-fat meals and eat veggie sausages & veggie nuggets rather than meat ones..is this better for you?

Do any uni students here actually eat healthily throughout the day, or have any tips on healthy food to make which is good for you as well as being filling and appetising?
    That rubbish advice sounds like sticking a plaster on a gaping wound.

Your problem is that it doesn't sound like you cook yourself proper evening meals, but instead live off takeaways, quick fix ready meals and unhealthy snacks.

Try to have a small sensible breakfast, a small sensible lunch, and a cooked evening meal with plenty of veg and not too much in the way of carbs. You can have a takeaway now and again as a treat, but not more than once or twice a week. Say no to unhealthy snacks like crisps and sweets. If you must have something, eat a piece of fruit.

So basically: learn to cook. Its ridiculously easy, the food is really good, and it will save you a lot of money. It also impresses the girls.

ReputationRep:
    I think I ate reasonably healthily in my first term, it's all about making the right choices about when you're actually hungry rather than boredom.

A typical day would involve a salad from Pret or Eat for lunch (sometimes calorific but a nutritious lunch). In the afternoon, I'd typically have my 'treat' of a Frappuccino or similar drink. Then I would buy salads and fruit salads from M&S for dinner/midnight snacks.

As I'm someone who tends to stay up till 4am and beyond, midnight snacks are often my downfall so I made sure I wasn't buying any unhealthy food that I could binge on (though admittedly I ended up going to McD's in the middle of the night a few times) and I got into the habit of looking at my shopping basket before I pay and taking out anything I classified as "unhealthy and unnecessary".

I also loaded up on so much Evian to make sure I wasn't dehydrated, plus carrying 2x 2litre bottles for about half a mile every few days was good exercise

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni myself, but I know that many shops have deals on fruit and veg that make them better value for money than junk food. Soups, pasta, cereals, risotto...the list of healthy things you can make with little effort is endless.

ReputationRep:
    You brilliant people, thank you these all sound great!

In truth? Stick to the perimeter of the supermarket, only skirmishing the isles for grains, dairy, toiletries and the like. If the vast majority of your diet consists of freshly-made, unprocessed meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, grains, pulses etc than you stand yourself in far better stead than grazing on pizza, pasta, chocolate and biscuits. Plus there's the added bonus that there tends to be a whole wall of alcoholic nectar to poison yourself with to choose from before you get to the checkout.

Oh, and move more.

ReputationRep:
      I would suggest cooking for yourself a bit more... doesn't have to be anything fancy, but cooking sliced chicken is not hard or an omlette etc

ReputationRep:
      I don't and won't do this as I'm too lazy to follow and don't care enough. I'd say set a rota/timetable of meals to eat in a week, do the shopping as needed and stick to that, making sure it fits ok with cooking time and stuff around lectures. So set 3 healthy meals a day, on a weekly basis.

ReputationRep:
      I would like to suggest buying a slow cooker (they are pretty cheap).

Making stew is very simple:

mixture of veg - onion, tinned tomatoes, garlic, root veg, anything you like really (you can even buy packs of stewing vegs so just dump it in)
      use lean meat like chicken and turkey, nothing wrong with beef either. (brown these meats in a pan first before adding them).
      Stock cube
      water
      I like to add some barley too (nice whoelgrain)

Stick it all in in the morning, come back 8 hours later and you have an extremely nutritious meal full of protein, vitamins, fibre and complex carbs, and it is low calorie.

ReputationRep:
      Just make stuff from scratch, it always ends up a lot healthier.

You can try the veggie thing if you want, it does help a lot, but be careful you still get complete proteins every so often, thats easy to miss.

ReputationRep:
      Gah it seems impossible to eat healthy! How can we get our 5 a day when the prices for fruit and veg are insane. 2 for £4 quid on berries is the best you can get =( I try to eat healthy for as much as I can afford it. But really, it's always easier to just buy a £1 pizza and let the oven do the work.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Snow841)
      Gah it seems impossible to eat healthy! How can we get our 5 a day when the prices for fruit and veg are insane. 2 for £4 quid on berries is the best you can get =( I try to eat healthy for as much as I can afford it. But really, it's always easier to just buy a £1 pizza and let the oven do the work.
      5 a day is completely overambitious; even my girlfriend doesn't manage that and she's a bloody vegetarian. Aim for 3 a day and you will still be far healthier than your average person. 1 bit of salad for lunch, veg for dinner and a piece of fruit/fruit juice is easily doable.

ReputationRep:
      Just learn to cook. You don't even need to do that much to keep things interesting. A couple of pasta dishes, eggs, basic curries, chilli & rice, things like fajitas, making your own pizza....etc. All much healthier and cheaper than a takeaway especially if there's 2-3 of you spreading the cost.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nosh-Student...1902579&sr=8-1

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.