Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What discount would you have? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking with all the student discounts out there and most of them being pretty much useless if you had the choice what discount would you put out there, no holes barred?

ReputationRep:
    A 5 year free railcard isn't useless you balloon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    A 5 year free railcard isn't useless you balloon!
    Of course it is, with the price of trains these days, a railcard that only provides you with a small discount is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Of course it is, with the price of trains these days, a railcard that only provides you with a discount is pointless.
    If you regularly use trains how is a 33% discount pointless?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is, with the price of trains these days, a railcard that only provides you with a discount is pointless.
    Why is 33% off pointless? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    33% off AND being able to buy an offpeak ticket but travel anytime definitely isn't pointless, especially if your train journey home is 4 hours and through London.

ReputationRep:
    I use the mcdonalds free cheeseburger one. :innocent:

Hmm...:beard:...25% off everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    33% off AND being able to buy an offpeak ticket but travel anytime definitely isn't pointless, especially if your train journey home is 4 hours and through London.
    I didn't think you can travel on peak trains if you bought an off-peak ticket? Please tell me more :holmes:

(Original post by Crazy Paving)
    I use the mcdondalds free cheeseburger one. :innocent:
    Pretty much the only one I use too. Except once I got a McFlurry instead :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Why is 33% off pointless? :curious:
    Ok, Let me give you an example.

A train to london from where I'm from is £60, now that is a pretty much standard price, peak, off peak whatever.

33% off that price would make it £40.20, that is really not worth me having the rail card for, I'd much rather drive it and save money.

ReputationRep:

A train to london from where I'm from is £60, now that is a pretty much standard price, peak, off peak whatever.

33% off that price would make it £40.20, that is really not worth me having the rail card for, I'd much rather drive it and save money.
    But if you make that trip numerous times over the year you save tons.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a car.

ReputationRep:

What? Doing that journey occasionally you would save £20 each time. Not every 16-25 year old has a car; the train is the only option for most.

Basically you're arguing that people shouldn't use the train at all, whereas we're talking about people who do use trains. For them the railcard is clearly a good option.

ReputationRep:

............... What?

Is opening your wallet to show an inspector your railcard too much effort for a £20 saving?

I know a lot of students that practically live on trains. It saves them A LOT of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Pretty much the only one I use too. Except once I got a McFlurry instead :sexface:
    :five: I once got a hamburger because there were loads there and there was a bit of a wait for a cheeseburger. :ashamed2: Never a mcflurry, I prefer savoury food. :smug:

:curious: It's still discount and is better than nothing. As said, a majority of students don't have cars and use trains often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    I didn't think you can travel on peak trains if you bought an off-peak ticket? Please tell me more :holmes:
    You can if you have a railcard Or at least, I was told you can, always have done and noones ever stopped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    What? Doing that journey occasionally you would save £20 each time. Not every 16-25 year old has a car; the train is the only option for most.

Basically you're arguing that people shouldn't use the train at all, whereas we're talking about people who do use trains. For them the railcard is clearly a good option.
    Yes, by car I would be saving £20 each time. I'm not saying they do, this isn't a car vs train dispute, it is me reasoning with you why in my opinion to me the railcard is usesless.

Also, 16-25? I thought you had to be 18 to be eligible for the Natwest student account, it only applies to University undergraduates no?

ReputationRep:
    :five: I once got a hamburger because there were loads there and there was a bit of a wait for a cheeseburger. :ashamed2: Never a mcflurry, I prefer savoury food. :smug:

:curious: It's still discount and is better than nothing. As said, a majority of students don't have cars and use trains often.
    Thanks for not biting my head off like the rest of the Ilovenatwest.com fan club. Perhaps for other students.

Personally, I'm rather glad I don't have to bank with Natwest, they have atrocious customer service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    But if you make that trip numerous times over the year you save tons.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a car.
    It is cheaper for me to drive than to go by train, even with the Natwest rail card. This is just my scenario. I understand that for most students it will benefit, however trains are ridiculously expensive in this country compared to other EU countries, and what I'm trying to say is that a 33% discount is not as good as, let's say free rail, or 75% off.

Apologies to my other fans if you haven't got a reply - I can't reply to you all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for not biting my head off like the rest of the Ilovenatwest.com fan club. Perhaps for other students.

Personally, I'm rather glad I don't have to bank with Natwest, they have atrocious customer service.
    I don't bank with natwest or use their railcard.

I get my own 75% rail discount. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, by car I would be saving £20 each time. I'm not saying they do, this isn't a car vs train dispute, it is me reasoning with you why in my opinion to me the railcard is usesless.

Also, 16-25? I thought you had to be 18 to be eligible for the Natwest student account, it only applies to University undergraduates no?
    You can get the railcard free with a Natwest student account, true. But people who don't have that account (as long as you're aged between 16 and 25) can buy one - it's about £20 a year I think. If you're going on a long journey it's worth it - I bought one when I went to my Cambridge interview which would have cost me £80ish so I saved the cost of the railcard in that one journey. Now I have a free Natwest one

ReputationRep:
    I don't bank with natwest or use their railcard.

I get my own 75% rail discount. :sexface:
    Well that's much better than the Natwest 30% or whatever it is off. I presume you had to buy that yourself? However we are disputing the Natwest rail card here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.