Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gordon Brown's riveting new book doing great on amazon Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Crash...1815756&sr=8-1

The extraordinary initial disclaimer might even go some way to explaining our current situation:

I am neither a finance expert nor a trained economist but fear of making technical mistakes (of which, I am sure, this book is full) should not silence us altogether when the task before us is so urgent.
    Isn't this the man who ran our economy for a decade? If only he'd put the same disclaimer forward with all his brilliant initiatives policies and budgets.

I copy the best review in full:

When you read Tony Blair's response to the coalition's plans, when you consider the ideas Frank Field had to transform welfare in Britain, when you look at the spectacular growth in ultimately ineffective tick-box City compliance, when you consider the £6bn the UK Exchequer lost from selling the country's gold reserves or the decimation of private sector pensions, when you consider which country alone had a run on its banks or look at the level of indebtedness and structural defecit in the UK, you begin to notice a thread.

It's quite clear that the country has paid a high price for the grandiose delusions of Gordon Brown. Whether delaying welfare reform, jacking up taxes with precious little to show for it, reducing the UK's competitiveness, increasing spending in huge (Labour voting) swathes of the country to Soviet levels or crushing incentives to create the wealth we need to both close the defecit and pay down the £1 in every £4 spent that we currently borrow, this deranged, abusive, out-of-control lunatic has his hands all over the crime scene.

Having failed the first test of democracy he has faced outside of his constituency, one might expect Gordon Brown to have spent his time reflecting on his 'contribution' to the UK. Or perhaps make amends by devoting his time to serving his constituents. Not a bit of it. At the date of publication, the poor deluded folk of Kircaldy and Cowdenbeath have been represented in parliament for a mere handful of the 200 odd days for which their MP has been paid. Instead of doing the job for which we pay him, Gordon Brown has knocked off this 300-page exercise in personal exculpation.

As he notes in his introduction, Brown is neither a financial expert nor an economist. Which might explain, but does not excuse, his lamentable diagnosis of the causes of the financial meltdown he fomented. It was all bankers paying themselves too much apparently. If only they'd paid themselves 10% less, all would have been fine. What about if public sector payrises had been pegged to inflation or a certain Chancellor hadn't raided - and thus destroyed - private sector pensions or what if the banking regulation system that had worked for hundreds of years had been left in place or what if the asset bubble had received some attention by, say, increasing the banks' capital adequacy ratios?

You can take your pick of brilliant hindsight-derived ideas, Gordon, but ultimately, you were in charge and your delusions about abolishing boom and bust meant you spent so much of our money, we now have to borrow just to pay off the interest. Your diagnosis is utter delusion from start to finish.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the book is full of secrets about how he used his position in power to snort cocaine and **** *****es I won't be reading it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll wait till either I've read it or I see a professional review mate...

ReputationRep:
    Rocketed into the Amazon sales chart debuting at no. 727, a mere 694 places behind his friend Tony's A Jounrey, at no.33

He can afford to buy a lot of copies.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cybergrad)
      He can afford to buy a lot of copies.
      Free copies for all the people of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (to make up for all the time that he's been sulking rather than in parliament representing them, since he received his P45 from his last job).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Time Tourist)

Isn't this the man who ran our economy for a decade? If only he'd put the same disclaimer forward with all his brilliant initiatives policies and budgets.
      George Osbourne is no more of an economist either. In fact I can't think of any chancellors (or PMs for that matter), off the top of my head, who have been.

So GTFO?

ReputationRep:
      I know it's getting cold these days but that is some really expensive firewood.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Barden)
      George Osbourne is no more of an economist either. In fact I can't think of any chancellors (or PMs for that matter), off the top of my head, who have been.

So GTFO?
      GTFO? come oooon....

Well I'm hardly the only person to pick him up on it, so should everyone who has GTFO?

It's an extraordinary thing for the longest serving chancellor in recent history to say...

ReputationRep:
      If I buy it, will it finally reveal the mystery of who Sue is?

ReputationRep:
      GTFO? come oooon....

Well I'm hardly the only person to pick him up on it, so should everyone who has GTFO?

It's an extraordinary thing for the longest serving chancellor in recent history to say...

9/10 for dodging the issue...

ReputationRep:
      what's the issue and what have i neglected?

ReputationRep:
      Did you even read the review he ****ing posted? It actually explains why he was a ****ing awful Chancellor. Or perhaps you have attacked the first line in OP's post and decided that 'because no Chancellor is an economist, it's all okay!' **** that ****, compare what Brown did to the country in 10 years (massive ****-up) to what Osbourne has done in 6 months (economy back on track).

9/10 for dodging the ****ting issue.

ReputationRep:
      what's the issue and what have i neglected?

The point that those in control of our economy are never economists. So why should Brown be singled-out?

I would dearly love for your answer to not be mere subjective opinion, but I wont hold my breath.

ReputationRep:
      I'm sure this will be on most people's Christmas lists...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Don_Lad)
      Did you even read the review he ****ing posted? It actually explains why he was a ****ing awful Chancellor. Or perhaps you have attacked the first line in OP's post and decided that 'because no Chancellor is an economist, it's all okay!' **** that ****, compare what Brown did to the country in 10 years (massive ****-up) to what Osbourne has done in 6 months (economy back on track).

:facepalm:

Firstly, he dodged the issue I raised. Correct, I made absolutely no allusion to what he quoted - it was irrelevant. OP attacked Brown for not being an economist. This is the point I wanted to raise with OP, and is why that is the only part I quoted.

Secondly, with regards to said review: you appear to be alumnus to the school of thought which believes that just because somebody shares one's view, and writes it down in correct, well structured English, that it must be true.

Furthermore, it is generally agreed that the actions of the coalition government are only just coming into effect. These include decreased economic growth - a sign that we may well slip back into recession, having recently emerged out of it due to the previous government's policies. Yeah, well ****ing done Osborne...

ReputationRep:
      The point that those in control of our economy are never economists. So why should Brown be singled-out?

I would dearly love for your answer to not be mere subjective opinion, but I wont hold my breath.
      I don't really know what you're pressing for here?

I'm well aware of your point?

Gordon Brown's disclaimer tallies with the state of our country, but that's probably totally lost on you.

ReputationRep:
      I don't really know what you're pressing for here?

I'm well aware of your point?

Gordon Brown's disclaimer tallies with the state of our country, but that's probably totally lost on you.

Oh dear, you're one of those who thinks that our government had any control over the effects of the global recession, aren't you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      Oh dear, you're one of those who thinks that our government had any control over the effects of the recession, aren't you? :rolleyes:

It seems you have been living in a cave, do you fully comprehend just how ****ed this country is? Just what The Creature from the Swamp did to this country, do you understand what the Brown Terror was?

Please, enlighten yourself and watch this:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...es-1/episode-1

Film maker Martin Durkin explains the full extent of the financial mess we are in: an estimated £4.8 trillion of national debt and counting. It's so big that even if every home in the UK was sold it wouldn't raise enough cash to pay it off.
      Or, if you had a stack of £50 of that figure it would be 6,500 miles high.

According to the Adam Smith institute Britain will probably be broke between 2019-2031 unless drastic measures are taken.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehou...or-broke.thtml

Now, what did Brown do? He pissed all our money up the wall, and then borrowed some more. He was in favour of the economics that led to the disaster, in favour of an economy fuelled by debt.

That's before we've even got on to the soft version of frankfurt school Marxism that has been imposed upon our society.

ReputationRep:
      I'm no massive fan of GB, but I think the old adage still rings true: why be an economist when you can hire one? Economics is the scientific equivalent of reading tea leaves, after every crisis the books are entirely re-written, and everyone has a totally different explanation for the randomness that occurred. One things for certain though, Germany will always be powerful because they don't just spunk money up the wall, and they foresaw the obvious problem that the West doesn't make anything any more.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.