Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ex GF wants to replace a faulty gift she bought me....Weird? Watch

Right, so I split up with my girlfriend a month or so ago, last Christmas she bought me a watch and a month later it broke. It's still in warranty and has been hanging around broken since before I broke up with her.

We were talking for the first time since the break up a few days ago and she asked if I wanted her to return the watch and she would give me the money or buy me another one as the supplier doesn't have that model any more. I said I'd think about it.

It's a shame to see something sitting there useless when it could be replaced and it's also a shame to see anyone waste their money on a gift that broke too easily. But should I just ignore her and try to get on with my life away from my relationship with her? Is it just an attempt to get me to get back with her?

Do I get her to replace it/give me the money? Or is it weird to accept replacements for old presents from my ex?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit strange how she didn't offer to replace it...say two months ago when you guys were together, or when it broke considering it broke so long ago! But if it's still in warranty, can't you just return it and get the money? Or, if not then yeah ask her to. But don't get her to BUY another one for you...that's just weird.

ReputationRep:
    maybe just ask for the receipt and sort it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should leave it. It's almost a year that has past since you get the present. Just say it doesn't matter and if you want it fixing, pay for it yourself. It's not her fault it broke, so the onus here is on you.

ReputationRep:
    Weird she didn't suggest it before. It could be part of a plan to get back with you but on the other hand, if it was an expensive watch that broke it would be silly not to get it replaced.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, its not wierd. I split up with my bf a few months ago but we still get on great as friends - I wouldnt think anything of returning something for him/getting a replacement - it doesnt mean I still have feeling for him or want him back...just a friendly gesture for someone you used to care about.

ReputationRep:
    It's weird as your watch was broken from January to November and she didn't offer to replace it, only after you break up does she do this.

To be honest, I'd just let her keep the refunded money. It sounds like a plan to get you back again, otherwise why not offer before?

ReputationRep:
    Im not a great source of advice her im sure, but if you where freinds before you broke up i assuming, and speaking on good terms now, prehaps with a view to being friends again afterwards, i see no reason why that shouldnt include swaping a broken watch for a not broken one of money to its value.

On the flip side, if you still carnt stand to be in the same room, think that shes trying to turn it around, and you done want to. Ask for the receipt, sort it yourself, and whatever...??

Dont know. Its only a watch, but at the same time, no point in cutting of your nose.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
    What's been taking her so long?

Weird.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Right, so I split up with my girlfriend a month or so ago, last Christmas she bought me a watch and a month later it broke. It's still in warranty and has been hanging around broken since before I broke up with her.

We were talking for the first time since the break up a few days ago and she asked if I wanted her to return the watch and she would give me the money or buy me another one as the supplier doesn't have that model any more. I said I'd think about it.

It's a shame to see something sitting there useless when it could be replaced and it's also a shame to see anyone waste their money on a gift that broke too easily. But should I just ignore her and try to get on with my life away from my relationship with her? Is it just an attempt to get me to get back with her?

Do I get her to replace it/give me the money? Or is it weird to accept replacements for old presents from my ex?
    My ex was never very organised at the best of times so it took her a while to sort out a replacement, plus it got put on the backburner when they said it would have to be via a refund, so she was asking me whether I wanted her to buy me another one or just get the refund etc. She ordered it online from Amazon, so will it be easy for me to obtain a refund by myself?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.