Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, just a quick question, im just doing that hardvard referencing thingy mabob and im really not sure what to put as my first word for ther above company. Help please!

ReputationRep:
    'eBay' is the name of the company.

ReputationRep:
    eBay I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Ebay

Depends on context I guess, the company refer to themselves as eBay but if you wrote it in a sentence you would write Ebay.
    Would you then also write Iphone and Ipod?

ReputationRep:
    eBay. Eveyone knows that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Would you then also write Iphone and Ipod?
    Only at the start of a sentence.

ReputationRep:
    eBay.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Depends on context I guess, the company refer to themselves as eBay but if you wrote it in a sentence you would write Ebay.
    What makes you say that? Everything I've ever seen written about them uses 'eBay'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    nah it's always iPod

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    What makes you say that? Everything I've ever seen written about them uses 'eBay'.
    I thought because it's a proper noun but it seems you are correct.

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR would you have a debate about the correct capitalisation of 'iPod'.

ReputationRep:
    eBay. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    But it's a product name and therefore not subject to grammatical convention...

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou guys, its just a bit of a different case when starting a reference with a low case letter. It just seems wierd. thanks all!

ReputationRep:
    eBay

ReputationRep:
    It's a small e due to connections with e-commerece with is usually written with a un-capitalised e.

ReputationRep:
    Just check out the eBay site... http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ebayipuse.html

"eBay is always spelled "eBay." It's never spelled "Ebay," "e-Bay," "ebay," or any other way."

Same for iPhone, iPad... these are brand names and don't follow rules of capitalization, even at the start of a sentence.
    But yes it always look weird to start your sentence with a lower e, so you can try to change your whole sentence from "eBay is..." to "The company/the website eBay is..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    It's a small e due to connections with e-commerece with is usually written with a un-capitalised e.
    While you're obviously right that's rather misleading as e-commerce would be E-commerce at the start of a sentence since it's a 'normal' word and not a brand name.

ReputationRep:
    eBay.
    I know everyone's already said that.. but I opened the thread, so might as well reply to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I.)
    Hey all, just a quick question, im just doing that hardvard referencing thingy mabob and im really not sure what to put as my first word for ther above company. Help please!
    Yeaaaah, cause its ****ing hard to type 'ebay' into google and find out your self.
    Bandwidth hog

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.