Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Circulate this!

http://www.factsonfees.com/

ReputationRep:
    No, don't think I will help spread government propaganda thanks. The 'facts' are that in future students will graduate with debts including approaching £50k. The fact is that they will pay interest on these debts at similar rates to mortgages. The fact is that a significant proportion will not pay these debts off within their lifetime.

The fact is that no matter how you dress it up £50k is a huge amount of money - and by telling people 'its just student debt, don't worry about it' you are ironically encouraging exactly the same sort of 'buy now, pay later' attitude that started the recession in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It might have more weight if it was coming from someone neutral...
    "Following the advice of the independent funding review, set up by the last Labour Government"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    No, don't think I will help spread government propaganda thanks. The 'facts' are that in future students will graduate with debts including approaching £50k. The fact is that they will pay interest on these debts at similar rates to mortgages. The fact is that a significant proportion will not pay these debts off within their lifetime.

The fact is that no matter how you dress it up £50k is a huge amount of money - and by telling people 'its just student debt, don't worry about it' you are ironically encouraging exactly the same sort of 'buy now, pay later' attitude that started the recession in the first place.
    Do you have a better suggestion?

For your answer. see spoiler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    No, don't think I will help spread government propaganda thanks. The 'facts' are that in future students will graduate with debts including approaching £50k.
    Not if you're doing a medical degree.I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine.

Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    "Following the advice of the independent funding review, set up by the last Labour Government"
    So Haychee, are you supporting the raised fees?

ReputationRep:
    The Coalition Government is reforming higher education funding to ensure universities have the money they need.
    I stopped reading there. 80% cut in teaching budget is not ensuring uni's have the money they need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    I stopped reading there. 80% cut in teaching budget is not ensuring uni's have the money they need.
    Same here 80% is a massive cut in teaching and it means that I have to cough out another 6 grand a year when i go uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    Not if you're doing a medical degree.I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine.

Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

:mad:
    and a guaranteed job.

ReputationRep:
    I personally support the rise in fees. What a lot of you students don't realise is that you don't pay it all off in one hit. And as for funding universities yeah there may be an 80% cut but they will receive much more funding from the fees you pay meaning teaching will improve facilities will improve and therefore job prospects will greatly improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    and a guaranteed job.
    This is the first year medical students will graduate without a guaranteed job prospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thru sun and rain)
    I personally support the rise in fees. What a lot of you students don't realise is that you don't pay it all off in one hit. And as for funding universities yeah there may be an 80% cut but they will receive much more funding from the fees you pay meaning teaching will improve facilities will improve and therefore job prospects will greatly improve.
    The proposed rise in tuition fees is not going to increase the overall funding received by the universities. The increase in fees to £6k-£9k is only going to get the universities to the same level as the year prior. So in actual fact......uni funding is simply going down overall, and student costs are going up. So you are going to pay more for less well equipped universities......nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    This is the first year medical students will graduate without a guaranteed job prospect.
    Read that back to yourself and see if it makes sense.

A med degree is 5 years, at the end of 5 years you graduate become a fraction of the 100 percent employment rate

ReputationRep:
    ****ing ridiculous, genuinely equalized any ambition I previously had and is making me settle for a career potentially I don't want to do for the rest of my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ringham33170)
    The proposed rise in tuition fees is not going to increase the overall funding received by the universities. The increase in fees to £6k-£9k is only going to get the universities to the same level as the year prior. So in actual fact......uni funding is simply going down overall, and student costs are going up. So you are going to pay more for less well equipped universities......nice
    Well it's a good thing that you're not forced to go to university.
    I can see why you think the taxpayer should pay for university education, though.......................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanfriday93)
    ****ing ridiculous, genuinely equalized any ambition I previously had and is making me settle for a career potentially I don't want to do for the rest of my life
    why?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I love 'myth 5'. Tuition fee increases clearly aren't fair when those students in Scotland pay nothing for their education and those in Wales won't be affected by the rise in costs. At the very least we should see better teaching standards because of this, but we won't because of the ridiculous Coalition cuts to higher education. Still, what can you expect from the Conservatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by understandable)
    Personally I love 'myth 5'. Tuition fee increases clearly aren't fair when those students in Scotland pay nothing for their education and those in Wales won't be affected by the rise in costs. At the very least we should see better teaching standards because of this, but we won't because of the ridiculous Coalition cuts to higher education. Still, what can you expect from the Conservatives?
    That's thanks to devolution actually, blame Labour for that

ReputationRep:
    Fact - Johnny Dosser who parties every night and comes out with a 3rd and ends up in a dead end job pays sweet FA back for his costly education, yet someone else on the same course (read same cost of education) works his *******s off to get a 1st, jumps into a well paid career on graduation and gets ****ed for tens of thousands of tuition fees + interest by the government, not to mention his higher rate income tax. Great system.

ReputationRep:
    This debate reminds me of the infamous quote by Judge Sturgess:-

"Justice is open to everyone in the same way as the Ritz hotel."

'Justice' is now synonymous with 'education' in this case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.