Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer for both universities for American Studies and History, but i'm not sure which uni i should choose as my first choice.
    Which uni would you recommend, in terms of, ranks, social life, city etc?

Thanks!

Quote me please

ReputationRep:
    Hi....
    Well done on your offers!
    I don't know about the course but i have applied for Sussex. I live in sussex so i know brighton pretty well!
    It's a nice place, its got all the shops you'd need and everyone is really friendly. The social side is good aswell! It's got a nice beach and is quite easy to get to!

The only thing I would say is that the uni is a bit out of the way (having said that they have a yellow bus which runs in and out until late)

I can't speak for nottingham but if you want a nice safe place that has a good reputation sussex is a safe bet! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohsocindy)
    I have an offer for both universities for American Studies and History, but i'm not sure which uni i should choose as my first choice.
    Which uni would you recommend, in terms of, ranks, social life, city etc?

Thanks!

Quote me please
    Ahh well done!!
    I love history, I haven't applied there though, but all I know is that Nottingham has a good selection of chinese resturants, Not to sure about sussex's oriental cuisine?! Hope that helps your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is just, well.......better. A tier above Sussex in reputation. Getting into Notts is like "oh well done, thats a really hard uni to get into, congrats." Sussex is like "Meeeh, that solid enough."

Sussex also has a truly awful campus. Brutalism at its worst Notts, on the other hand, has one of the most attractive.

No brainer.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is getting better every year. I go there, and Brighton is pretty awesome. As someone said above me though, getting in isn't as hard*, and yes, the architecture sucks (that said the green area around it more than makes up for it imo).

Visit both, make your decision on your own opinion.

*Edit: This is both a pro and a con. It's easier to get into, which may mean it's less of an achievement than Nottingham (an achievement nonetheless). However, they're a lot more likely to let you in if you miss your grades.

Most of my friends at Sussex missed their offered grades but were still offered their place. A girl in my class got her offered grades for Nottingham (ABC), but because she didn't get a B in French, she was rejected. Take this into account.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say Sussex is easy to get into, I have an offer for English and it's AAA. That's not very easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd123)
    I wouldn't say Sussex is easy to get into, I have an offer for English and it's AAA. That's not very easy...
    Might have got tougher this year, but I know people who got in last year with A*BB and A*BC. I think they like the A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Sussex also has a truly awful campus. Brutalism at its worst Notts, on the other hand, has one of the most attractive.
    I quite like the Sussex campus. I've been on Nottingham's campus a couple of times and never particularly liked it.

The social life in Brighton is pretty varied - lots of clubbing if that's what you're into, as well as live music nights, loads of bars etc.
    Public transport is good (buses from campus to town every 5 mins in the day, and every 20 at night). The campus is about half an hours bus ride from town, but only a 10 minute train ride.
    It's easy to get a train to London from Sussex, so public transport links to the rest of the country are good.
    People there are actually very friendly (some people seem to think the South is unfriendly )
    Sussex library is open 24 hours on weekdays, and probably will be at weekends when they have finished refurbishing it.
    Nottingham ranks above Sussex as a university, but I'm not sure about whether or not it does for your particular course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Visit both. Compare the atmosphere. Decide on which you feel is better for you based on how you feel at both places and the modules on offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletEyes)
    Might have got tougher this year, but I know people who got in last year with A*BB and A*BC. I think they like the A*.
    I have noticed they like the A*

ReputationRep:
    nottingham is a better university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Sussex is getting better every year. I go there, and Brighton is pretty awesome. As someone said above me though, getting in isn't as hard*, and yes, the architecture sucks (that said the green area around it more than makes up for it imo).

Visit both, make your decision on your own opinion.

*Edit: This is both a pro and a con. It's easier to get into, which may mean it's less of an achievement than Nottingham (an achievement nonetheless). However, they're a lot more likely to let you in if you miss your grades.

Most of my friends at Sussex missed their offered grades but were still offered their place. A girl in my class got her offered grades for Nottingham (ABC), but because she didn't get a B in French, she was rejected. Take this into account.
    I got negged for that? What the hell is wrong with people on this forum?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.